Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Driving the Ball 280 to 300.....Really???

I'm still fairly new at this golf game and I'm a little confused about a few things. First of all when people say they drive the ball 300 yards are they talking about carrying 300? That seems like a very different thing to me. Second of all when they calculate pros average driving distance how do they calculate this? It seems to me that a large number of pros use something other than a driver on many holes, are those holes still factored in? I would imagine a much larger number of pros could average 300 than actually do, but strategic decisions make them choose otherwise.

(I would think that prolly less than 1% of your amateur golfers average 300 yd drives, but its kinda fun to listen to people who think they do)
Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 PM

I go out and play with all kinds of randoms from day to day. There just aren't too many guys who can drive the ball 300 out there. I'm sorry. Just like there aren't too many truly scratch golfers.

Lots of people claim to be scratch who aren't, and lots of people hit a couple of 300 yard drives per round and claim they're John Daly. This is all at sea level, of course.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 PM

It seems like we have quite a few low handicappers on this board, so while I think people do tend to lie or not really know their average distance off the tee, we also probably have a "better than average" representation.

I started the summer carrying about 230 on average (based on a swing analyzer/simulator and basic observational knowledge), but have picked up at least 10 yards on the carry by developing a more solidly struck fade as opposed to my "draw" that was too often a duck hook.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 PM

2 things that haven't been brought up.

1) People's perception of what numbers of people around them are doing 'x' are often poor. So, I suspect that people overestimate how many people around them claim to avg >300yds.

Also this forum isn't going to be representative...if we polled all of 2p2 for anyone who plays at least 1 round/yr, you'd get a MUCH more representative sample with only a VERY small % being scratch or close.

For ex, of the 50+ people who've responded to the handicap thread, 12 are <2 handicap. Sure that sounds high, but it's obviously skewed - ask all of 2p2 and that number would likely stay the same, but the relative % of the population would PLUMMET.

So, since at least 1/4 of people who frequent this forum AND added their handicap to that thread are v good players, it shouldn't be surprising to find that a fair number of players here can also bomb the ball. Again, it's a highly biased sample. Include all 2p2 people who have golfed, and that % will plummet as well.

2) WHO CARES?! If someone says they can hit it that far...so what? If you don't believe them, don't say they can't without playing with them...
Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 PM

If I could hit my driver with any regularity I'm sure I could carry it 250+. I currently hit my 3i 200-210 consistently (GuyOnTilt can confirm).
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM

I have to kinda agree with the OP. I play every week in a men's league and I'd say out of 100+ men, maybe 20% hit it further then me. I carry 245-250 and hit it 270-280. If it just stops then obviously it only goes 245-250. I know these numbers are accurate because there is a creek I carry that is approx. 240 to carry and I regularly carry it. (But not by much)

Of those 20% most just hit it 10-25 yards further then me and there are probably 2-3 guys that hit it over 300. These are all 15 or lower handicap guys, about 40 that are 0 - 4.

What the OP is most likely hearing from most amateurs though is their perfect drive. The guys in my league hit it consistently 240-270 while Joe Duffer who swings as hard as he can hits it 300 1 out of 50 times
Old 10-01-2007, 04:15 PM

I drove the ball over 400 yards half a dozen times in a long drive qualifier but conditions were very helpful. I'm going to start claiming I hit it 400+
Old 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still fairly new at this golf game and I'm a little confused about a few things. First of all when people say they drive the ball 300 yards are they talking about carrying 300? That seems like a very different thing to me. Second of all when they calculate pros average driving distance how do they calculate this? It seems to me that a large number of pros use something other than a driver on many holes, are those holes still factored in? I would imagine a much larger number of pros could average 300 than actually do, but strategic decisions make them choose otherwise.

(I would think that prolly less than 1% of your amateur golfers average 300 yd drives, but its kinda fun to listen to people who think they do)

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as i know, the Pro`s stats are colleted from two par 5 holes on a course, where they will 98% sure use there Driver.
Thats why it gives a true picture of there driving distance, and not an average of all the holes on the course, which naturally would show a sign of tactics just as much as driving distance.

In my own experience, the driving distances are not crazy, and i know that not all pros drive it really far.

I have been an elite player, and trained/played with several pros as a result, and only few of them hit it further than me, and that being like 265 carry versus 250 carry, so basicly it means one iron shorter to the green, and nothing defining.

Im a 4,6 hdc (scandinavia) so not a gift for golf, but my tee to green is however my biggest advantage, by far.
I have a driver that is quite old, with a very stiff shaft, and it generates alot of backspin, so not the longest driver in the world, but it doesn`t roll to far, and i haven`t found one i hit more consistent, therefor i keep that old stick in my back.

When you play with pro players you find out where they get there scores.
Around green and on the green is where the difference between 5 over par and 2 under par is defined.

Don`t know if it helped lol, but don`t get too caught up in the driving distance, cause yes i can also tell you when i hit a par4 360Y green in one with my spoon.
It doesn`t matter at all, and will only make you focus on things that doesn`t help you game.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 PM

I'm a scratch golfer and I carry it 255ish under calm conditions. If a hole is playing downwind with firm ground I can hit it 300.

I've played golf with at least 200 different low handicap players (2 handicap or less). I'd say I am slightly above average in length in comparison to others at my level. I can only think of 2-3 guys that could hit it around 300 on consistent basis. I've never played with anybody that could carry it 300+ on a regular basis.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Each week the tour picks two holes at that course where they think most of the field will be using drivers. They do not adjust if a player hits a 3 wood instead.
They play so many rounds though that over the course of a season a player's true average will show.

And when people talk about hitting a certain distance with their driver, for the most part, they're talking about with roll.

Being able to carry the ball 300 yards is absolutely incredible. The hang time is just awesome.

As for people/posters lying about how far they carry it, I guess I'm in the "who cares?" camp.

I'd put a good chunk of money against anyone in this thread being able to carry it 300 and feel solid about my bet, fwiw. Not calling anyone out specifically, but my odds are great vs. ~16 random internet golf dudes.