Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 AM

Default Confessions of a mid-stakes tilt monkey

I am writing this to anyone considering going pro.. Basically writing this to myself 5 months ago.

Poker has gone from fun and stimulating, to a stressful chore.. It can be rewarding at times.. But really its just one big mind [censored].

If your considering going pro with the grand dream of making it to the high stakes, please please make sure you have a backup plan. There are many more traits to being a good poker player than just being quick witted and smart...
This is all you really need to beat the low limits.. So you may be fine for a while. But if you ever want to beat the 15/30+ consistantly day in and day out.. You not only have to be quick witted.. you have to have strong emotional discipline.

Your viewpoint of the game WHILE PLAYING must be positive and in control or ur going to spew away your small edge whenever your on a down swing.

If you think low stakes games are stressful LOL... u aint seem nothing.
To be able to cap the turn with your top pair, only to get 3 outed by an overcard that now have top pair 3 times in a session and not be on tilt takes a lot of will.

A lot of opponents styles thrives on throwing bets down your throat until you feel smothered, causing u to play like a moron in frustration.

To play higher stakes limit consistantly, you need to have an iron will.

Sadly, I dont think I will ever realize my dream of being a high stakes limit hold em guru, unless I make a dramatic breakthrough in emotional discipline.
I think I am limited by personality traits and deep rooted insecurities more than something that can be quickly fixed through habits.

If you are consideirng going pro and have big problems with tilt, you may want to consider another alternative.

The stress is frequent and your long term earn rate will likely be capped at the mid stakes.