Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Click Tells?

Assuming OPP is only playing one table. What are some click tells you have picked up on?

For me the all time classic is the check-call, check-call, and then 20 second delay before villian pushes all in on the river. Without a monster, I'm usually folding to that,

Anyone else?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Click Tells?

I'd be very careful of that time delay thing, I know people think that way so I do it a lot with a strong hand. People may also be deciding how much their value bet should be. Other times they may be considering a check raise and decide against.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM

Instant calls (or sometimes raises) can mean the villain is on a draw. He doesn't want to seem weak, so he calls the bet immediately - "that's all you bet, sure I call. No Problem."
Old 07-18-2007, 12:00 PM

I`ll make a small bet if someones insta-checks me as this is usually:

Im not interested in this hand. usually

any long delays i assume they`re doing 2 things at once and play normally
Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM

I usually don't put much into the long delay. The only way I'll start using it is if I see a pattern. There are just too many reasons a guy could be taking a long time. There are actually times where I had a crap hand and was distracted by something non-poker only to look back and see my time bank activated. So I quickly hit check and then notice villain take a while and check behind. I am almost certain he tried to read my delay as strength when really I was just fishing for my remote.

The insta-call is more reliable in my opinion. One that I use is the insta-call preflop. For example UTG thinks a bit and folds, UTG+1 calls, another fold then two insta-calls. I find that the insta-call is almost always a marginal hand. Another one is the insta-check in BB. Obviously not a strong hand there. There are exceptions but I find them only rarely although it's good to note when you're not in a hand when a guy insta-called with AA.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM

I play primarily limit, so I couldn't tell you thing one about NL timing tells. But they are real in LHE, and I've won more than a few extra bets (and entire pots) over the years because of them.

For anyone reading this who also plays LHE, the most reliable timing tell out there is the "oh s**t" tell. This is a very brief pause, usually a second or less, between when a card falls on the board and when your opponent bets (when your opponent is first to act), and it will almost always mean that your opponent believes the card which just fell killed his hand. Like maybe he flopped two pair & thinks you're holding an overpair, and the board pairing just counterfeited his hand. The pause is exactly how long it takes the average poker mind to recognize the card that just fell, realize that it probably just destroyed his hand, and then remember that he's supposed to bet anyway because maybe you'll fold (or maybe you don't have that overpair after all).

In general, though, you want to be very careful about using any timing tells in online games (unless you know that opponent & his timing patterns very, very well). A pause could mean that he's holding the nuts & wants you to call, it could mean that he missed a draw & wants you to think that he's holding the nuts and wants a call, or it could mean that he just spilled coffee all over his keyboard & is scrambling for a towel. Or anything in between.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:42 PM

The long delay before a check - a check-raise might be on its way
Old 07-18-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or they want you to check behind, because they are holding a weak hand.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or they want you to check behind, because they are holding a weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging from the number of times I then get a fold after I instabet anyway, this is often the case.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Pokerdemic, I beleive that click tells are a real part of poker, but not the part that most of us should be concerning ourselves with to any great extent.
The most important poker tells are, and will always be, betting patterns. That c/c, c/c, c/push on the river very well could be the nuts. Or maybe your opponent is a habitual bluffer. The answer lies almost completely in the betting pattern of the opponent. Click tells, chat tells, and timing tells are secondary information to be considered only after we've fully understood and considered our opponents betting pattern.