Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Default negotiations after home inspection... (buying a house)

I am buying a house (closing Oct 31) and wanted advice on reopening negotiations now that the home-inspection phase has been completed. I'm not willing to walk away from this deal if seller refuses to negotiate further. My realtor is waiting to hear if I have anything I want to "ask" for based on the results of the home inspection.

Only items of note from the home inspection...
1) Exterior Wood trim around some windows and kitchen skylight needs to be replaced due to minor rot in the joints.
will need to hire someone to do this and have no idea how much it might cost.

2) Washing machine needs repair
just spins, but doesn't jiggle the clothes down...I would have never caught this if the home inspector wasn't such a meticulous nit...but that's a good thing ;-) The washer/dryer are v. old and I just saw new cheapo set at Brandsmart for < $400.

3) Steam fan in master bathroom vents right into the attic
needs to be extended through the roof...otherwise potential for mildew. I can take care of this with $40 and a trip to home depot.

4) No smoke detector on second floor
smoke detectors can't be more than $30.

5) Couple of reversed electrical outlets...
no worries...

I look at these as all things that will need to be fixed at some point so why not get the seller to put up a little cheddar.

Any ideas on how to proceed? My goal is to get #1 taken care of...

I have an idea of how I would approach this but would like some outside opinions...thanks.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: negotiations after home inspection... (buying a house)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not willing to walk away from this deal if seller refuses to negotiate further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not too good. You're negotiating from a position of weakness. On the other hand, the seller might be feeling a little sqeeze w/ the markets being down. Depends a lot on your local market. Either way, you'd want the seller to be pretty convinced that you'll walk unless he makes concessions.

[ QUOTE ]
1) Exterior Wood trim around some windows and kitchen skylight needs to be replaced due to minor rot in the joints.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to either get a quote or ask the seller to fix the problem. You could handle it in a variety of ways:
a. determine the value of the repair and reduce purchase price accordingly
b. determine value of repair and allocate some of the purchase price to escrow for the repair
c. make the seller pay for the repair before closing

For choice A you'll have to come up w/ the cash for the repair out of your pocket. Note also that rot around window joints could be an indication of a poorly kept home, as keeping up the caulking is a pretty standard yearly maintenance item. Something to consider.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Washing machine needs repair
just spins, but doesn't jiggle the clothes down...I would have never caught this if the home inspector wasn't such a meticulous nit...but that's a good thing ;-) The washer/dryer are v. old and I just saw new cheapo set at Brandsmart for < $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd ignore it.

[ QUOTE ]

needs to be extended through the roof...otherwise potential for mildew. I can take care of this with $40 and a trip to home depot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll need to cut a hole for the pipe in the roof, no? I'd be careful - cutting holes in the roof might have negative consequences for your insurance policy unless handled by a professional. The steam is a real problem. Water is wood's worst enemy. This is a necessary repair. Get it fixed by a professional.

[ QUOTE ]

4) No smoke detector on second floor
smoke detectors can't be more than $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke detectors cost $4 each at Home Depot. I buy them in bulk. Nickel and dime, forget it.

[ QUOTE ]

5) Couple of reversed electrical outlets...
no worries...

[/ QUOTE ]

meh.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:15 PM

All these things are extremely minor, and it looks like your being extremely picky. you are talking a couple hundred dollars at the most to fix with the exception of #1

If you are not willing to walk away from the deal then ask them to fix #1 and worry about the rest yourself.

#1 is probably not going to be that much to fix anyway.

A home inspection that reported those tiny things is a pretty good home inspection report.

If I were the seller I'd proably agree to fix #1 and tell you to fix the rest yourself.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not willing to walk away from this deal if seller refuses to negotiate further.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not too good. You're negotiating from a position of weakness. On the other hand, the seller might be feeling a little sqeeze w/ the markets being down. Depends a lot on your local market. Either way, you'd want the seller to be pretty convinced that you'll walk unless he makes concessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. market maybe flattening but not in this atlanta neighborhood (VA Highland).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
...Note also that rot around window joints could be an indication of a poorly kept home, as keeping up the caulking is a pretty standard yearly maintenance item. Something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Point.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll need to cut a hole for the pipe in the roof, no? I'd be careful - cutting holes in the roof might have negative consequences for your insurance policy unless handled by a professional. The steam is a real problem. Water is wood's worst enemy. This is a necessary repair. Get it fixed by a professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hole is already there, but it just looks like someone half-assed it or ran out of the flex tubing. Good point about the insurance and emphasis on the potential problems.

Also, termite inspector is scheduled for this afternoon -- will follow up with results if anything of note.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Lol

Every single house in every single neighborhood besides new construction homes have something wrong with it that are much more costly than your list of things.

It you are going to nickle and dime for a few hundred bucks, then nickle and dime them if you want, but these things are so minuscule.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:38 PM

These are simple fixes that you can "ask" the seller to take care of at what appears to be a minimum cost.

However ,as far as OPENING up negotiations...it seems you either want out for some reason,or are reaching here,being that you are in contract with your escrow money tied up,so be careful and ask you lawyer BEFORE you open a can of worms over nothing,that can get UGLY with these sometime trivial things

In many states(New York for example) the seller is OBLIGATED to pay $500 to the buyer for these type repairs(even if there are NONE ness.),that comes off your final buying price at the closing either way...so unless they sign the waiver(which most dont ,that obligate them to fix these and other repirs for a year).Its sort of like the lemon law of cars for non-builder warranteed home sales,from existing home owners.
NOBODY in their right mind would sign this,on a $400,000 home for instance!

What was the estimate the H/I gave you to repair the items on his fix list BTW?

Stephen
Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol

Every single house in every single neighborhood besides new construction homes have something wrong with it that are much more costly than your list of things.

It you are going to nickle and dime for a few hundred bucks, then nickle and dime them if you want, but these things are so minuscule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying that post-home-inspection negotiations are for big stuff only -- such as unknown cracks in foundations, asbestos insulation on pipes in basement, termites, etc?

I should have mentioned the house was built in 1984.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:43 PM

Chair,

Its fine to nit it up. But most of these, as others have said, shouldn't even really register. I'd prefer saving the time and expense and ask them to do it and maybe even badger them a bit since it'd be quicker than dealing with the hassle of getting it done myself. But... If they don't... whatev.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These are simple fixes that you can "ask" the seller to take care of at what appears to be a minimum cost.

However ,as far as OPENING up negotiations...it seems you either want out for some reason,or are reaching here,being that you are in contract with your escrow money tied up,so be careful and ask you lawyer BEFORE you open a can of worms over nothing,that can get UGLY with these sometime trivial things

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. Any adjustment to the purchase price or whatever would technically give the seller an "OUT". Good point.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no estimate. he would make comments like "that's an easy fix/tweak/etc" and gave me a good lesson in basic home maintenance that I would consider worth the fee alone.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. Any adjustment to the purchase price or whatever would technically give the seller an "OUT". Good point.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no estimate. he would make comments like "that's an easy fix/tweak/etc" and gave me a good lesson in basic home maintenance that I would consider worth the fee alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again consult your laywer...but just tell them to take care of these fixes,based on his inspection report...or allocate the estimate to a deduction at closing ,and fix these minor repairs yourself

~stephen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]