Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Micro-limits: Trying to get maximum value out of made hands

I'm pretty much a beginner. I know the rules, hands and some advanced strategy, but nothing huge.

Table has been pretty loose/passive preflop, but tight afterwards.

I've been playing really tight. I see flops when it's cheap to get in (odds-wise), but play pretty solid afterwards.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($21.05)
CO ($8.60)
Button ($8.25)
SB ($9.80)
BB ($12.35)
UTG ($15.15)
UTG+1 ($11.60)
MP1 ($11.90)
MP2 ($3.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.60) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.60) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.4</font>, Hero calls $0.40, SB folds, BB calls $0.40, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.40.

River: ($2.20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $0.7</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.8</font>, BB calls $2.80, MP1 calls $2.10.

Final Pot: $10.60

I know slowplaying is a mortal sin in Omaha, but I had quads and have been playing ultra tight. Basically, people fold to most of my bets.

I was wondering if I could have gotten any more value out of the hand by playing it more aggressively postflop. Would it have been better to raise the turn? Would everybody who stayed in just to a flat call stay in to a turn raise? Would betting the pot get the two callers on the river in (I nearly did, but felt that I'd chased my opponents away)?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Micro-limits: Trying to get maximum value out of made hands

I think quads are strong enough to slowplay.

I like how you played it. Maybe pot river.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:24 PM

When I play your hand, every instinct inside me says 'check it you fool' but I know that I should be betting the flop. You have 5 people in with you, it's unlikely anyone's flopped 2s full but many will chase their flush draw, especially at this level, so it's certainly worth a bet on the flop.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think quads are strong enough to slowplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Quads are just fine for slowplaying. These can become monster winners for you if you let someone turn an overpair into a full house.

In about 20,000 logged hands in PLO I have lost after flopping quads exactly once (I slowplayed and someone hit runner-runner Jacks to go with the 2 in his hand - fortunately, he only had about 15BB in his stack).

The hands you should worry about slowplaying are things like flopping a boat with low/medium cards where virtually every card in the deck could give someone a better hand.

Slowplaying is most dangerous in Omaha when you are deep stacked relative to the pot, against several opponents, and your hand is strong but vulnerable to draws (particularily overpairs).