Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM

Default 50NL AQs two pair on river and get check raised....

Villain is 28/14/3

I checked the flop because cbetting here will just make him fold. And i can get him to fire the turn, call, and get a lot of value out of the river.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($67.70)
BB ($50)
UTG ($60.75)
MP ($10.75)
CO ($98.70)
Hero ($49.80)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($4.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2.5</font>, Hero calls $2.50.

River: ($9.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $25</font>, Hero calls $17.50.

Final Pot: $59.50

What could i have done better? Raise turn? Again, most of his range just folds...a weak T folds KQ folds weak aces fold etc...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: 50NL AQs two pair on river and get check raised....

Cbetting &gt; Giving him free card.
What's wrong with him folding?

Gotta call this river.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:29 PM

x2
Don't understand the flop check -- you are far from the nuts, and you want him to catch up?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Once you call the turn, is he really firing another barrel on the river (or calling much of a bet) with something that you have beat?

I understand what you're thinking about worse hands not calling a bet, but hand protection still counts for something in NL, even if sometimes it's too risky to try to protect meaningfully (since you could already be beat) and pot control becomes an attractive option.

Anyway, the thing is, in this hand, that you're unlikely to get to play for a big pot unless Villain is determined to push you off of KK (not too likely) or he improves to a hand that actually beats yours.

That said, I do think you got unlucky that his KJ hit (which is what apparently happened), but I also think your "a lot of value on the river" estimation could be exaggerated, as could your estimation of how often Villain even bluffs the turn.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:34 PM

He as a WIDE range and i want some value from QQ JJ 99 and royal card combinations w/ a T in them.

You don't need the nuts to check the flop...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:35 PM

I've seen him bluff the river a couple times but never w/ a c/r.

So you're saying i should just check behind?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
 is offline

I also check this type of flops sometimes, so I don`t think it`s terrible. But the way you played the hand you definetly have to call the turn.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 PM

Id C-bet the flop 95% of the time. Id only check behind if im confident that villain will take a stab at the turn+river w/o much of a hand.

As played, Id probably just call on the turn too. You are looking to extract some value from weak one pair hands and bluffs on the river. Raising is also a viable option of course, if you think villain shuts down on the river ui with weakish one pair hands.

On the river, the strength of your hand is disguised a lot, so folding is not an option. Id call and be happy about it.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:39 PM

I like to fire at this flop. around $3. If you think he is you are ahead, you can't give your opponent a free-card, plus it builds the pot, and if he is trapping you can find out some information.
Call on the river.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Id C-bet the flop 95% of the time. Id only check behind if im confident that villain will take a stab at the turn+river w/o much of a hand.

As played, Id probably just call on the turn too. You are looking to extract some value from weak one pair hands and bluffs on the river. Raising is also a viable option of course, if you think villain only will take one stab.

On the river, the strength of your hand is disguised a lot, so folding is not an option. Id call and be happy about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was pertty much my EXACT thought process as i underrepped my hand by the river.