Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 07:50 PM

Default ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

Who else didn't start Tim Linceum this week? I went with Sorinao instead. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] At least he got me a hold.

My dilema for this week is for my final pitcher spot. 12 team league, normal five categories plus holds for MR. I'm basically still in overall value mode with the exception of WHIP, which I've already locked up. The candidates;

Escobar, 1 start @Texas
Guthrie, 1 start @Texas
Hoffman, 7 games at home vs Fla and Atl
Villaneuva, 7 games @Pit and @Wash

I'm leaning towards Hoffman because saves are a little more volitle although I think a good case can be made for all of these guys. Keep in mind, I'll be starting seven (out of nine spots) starters the following week due to the AS break.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Re: ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Who else didn't start Tim Linceum this week? I went with Sorinao instead. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] At least he got me a hold.

[/ QUOTE ]
All my leagues are daily and thankfully the only league I didn't start him in today was a H2H where it didn't matter (I would have started him at the last minute but other guys got the W's I needed before the giants game started)

[ QUOTE ]
My dilema for this week is for my final pitcher spot. 12 team league, normal five categories plus holds for MR. I'm basically still in overall value mode with the exception of WHIP, which I've already locked up. The candidates;

Escobar, 1 start @Texas
Guthrie, 1 start @Texas
Hoffman, 7 games at home vs Fla and Atl
Villaneuva, 7 games @Pit and @Wash

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with Hoffman. Fla and Atl have some good pitching which hopefully will yield close games and lots of saves situations.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:30 PM

any thoughts on who will be getting the saves in Colorado for the next week or so?

Ken
Old 07-02-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any thoughts on who will be getting the saves in Colorado for the next week or so?

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll probably try Hawkins or Julio because they have experiece in the role, but you do not want either of them on your roster because they are ticking ERA/WHIP time bombs.

In terms of skill, Manuel Corpas would be the best option. He may get a chance if Julio/Hawkins blow it and Fuentes doesn't get the job back. Another option would be Jeremy Affeldt. He has a minor league starter (which seems to translate well to closing in the majors) and has been a closer before. I'd pick them up in this order:

Corpas
Affeldt
Hawkins
Julio
Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll probably try Hawkins or Julio because they have experiece in the role, but you do not want either of them on your roster because they are ticking ERA/WHIP time bombs.

In terms of skill, Manuel Corpas would be the best option. He may get a chance if Julio/Hawkins blow it and Fuentes doesn't get the job back. Another option would be Jeremy Affeldt. He has a minor league starter (which seems to translate well to closing in the majors) and has been a closer before. I'd pick them up in this order:

Corpas
Affeldt
Hawkins
Julio

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure to hold on to Fuentes if you have him, he'll be alright eventually.

Second, now that Kinsler is on the DL, I need to fill 2nd base, but I have no room on my roster with Brett Myers taking up the DL spot. I don't really like dropping anyone on my roster, and I'm 5 games up on the 2nd place team, so can I afford to just wait it out with no 2B? Yahoo 5x5 H2h 12-team league btw (and no one offers/accepts fair trades so that doesn't seem likely):

C- R. Martin
1B - Fielder
2B - Kinsler (now on DL)
3B - A.Ramirez
SS - Guillen
OF - C. Lee
OF- Holliday
OF - Rios
UTIL - Pierre
BN - Thome, Glaus

SPs - Hamels, Jered Weaver, Johan Santana, Oswalt, Schilling, Bonderman, Lincecum, Guthrie

RPs - Ray, C. Cordero, Myers (DL spot)
Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 PM

Burdz,

If it were my team, I'd be starting Glaus or Thome ahead of Pierre, and Pierre would be waltzing his ass to the WW in favor of a new 2B. Which 2B are available?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM

k I got Bonds for Haren

should I drop Buehrle for Abreu?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 AM

Trade Proposal:
Proposal:
I'm giving up: Kenji Johjima, Ryan Braun, Shane Victorino
I'm getting: Joe Mauer, Bobby Abreu, Michael Cuddyer

Before you make a decision, please hear out my team situation. I was negotiating a trade yesterday and I was dangling Braun for some of his assets. It's an 10-team roto 5x5 (R HR RBI SB AVG x W SV K ERA WHIP). We have deep teams because we can wanted to pick up prospects and just store them there. Below are our rosters:

Me:
Hitters
Kenji Johjima
Ryan Howard
Chone Figgins
Garrett Atkins
Derek Jeter
Magglio Ordonez
Gary Matthews Jr.
Shane Victorino
Ryan Braun

Bench:
Hideki Matsui
Jim Thome
Adrian Gonzalez
Aaron Rowand
Placido Polanco
Jeff Francoeur

Pitchers:
Derek Lowe
Chien-Ming Wang
Jake Peavy
Brad Penny
John Smoltz (DL)
Bartolo Colon
Chris Carpenter (DL)
Chad Billingsley
Eric Gagne
Jeremy Accardo

Let's just evaluate my team for now. I need saves but I can't get any from him and other teams know I need saves so they won't budge. I am currently in 3rd place but I was atop the standing for almost a month and a half (due to Braun running sickly hot and my monstrous all-star pitching staff). I am top 3 in R, RBI, W, and ERA and dead last in saves and second to last in SBs. The team I'm dealing with is a self-proclaimed fantasy baseball guru in 7th place that needs immediate production and needs to make a move after All-star break

Proposal:
I'm giving up: Kenji Johjima, Ryan Braun, Shane Victorino
I'm getting: Joe Mauer, Bobby Abreu, Michael Cuddyer

I am getting a big improvement by getting Joe Mauer over Kenji. I have very iffy feelings for Bobby Abreu and I don't even think Cuddyer can make the cut to start in my field (I'd probably start Gary Matthews Jr. and Hideki over him as Cuddyer's performance has been average as of late). Also, Ryan Braun has been on some sick hot and Victorino (picked up recently) is going to help me drastically in the stolen base category that I really need (and also boost me to going from 3rd to 1st in the runs category). I could also get Mike Lowell instead of Cuddyer but I think I'd still start Atkins in 3B as he is finally running hot again

Halp
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 AM

Seems like a crappy trade for you. Don't give up anything for Lowell, he usually sucks in the 2nd half. I'd rather have Victorino than either of the two outfielders you are getting - maybe Abreu will be better but quite possibly not.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:28 AM

This is a terrible trade for you. Back out. Braun isn't some "might be" prospect. He's a legit star. If the other guy doesn't want to give you fair value, then walk away. The fact that you are so staunchly trying to defend and explain this trade tells me you know it's bad and you are so desparate to make a move that you are trying to convince yourself it's a good deal. It's not.