Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Reading list

[ QUOTE ]
The Harrington books aren't set up for cash game play so why would you recommend it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you haven't read it. HoH 1 contains a lot of information that applies just as well to cash games as it does to tourneys. For a novice NLHE cash player I think it's actually a better book than PNL because it's more accessible to less sophisticated players, and it contains a lot of practical examples as opposed to something like NLHE:TAP. It also has a lot more depth than Little Green Book.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:29 PM

You assume I haven't read it... How else would I know a good majority of the book based for tourney play ? I don't just read book covers and assume I've read the book. Another good recommendation is Theory of poker, its as complete as HoH and serves cash game as well as tourney players alike.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You assume I haven't read it... How else would I know a good majority of the book based for tourney play ? I don't just read book covers and assume I've read the book. Another good recommendation is Theory of poker, its as complete as HoH and serves cash game as well as tourney players alike.

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked why we recommended it for cash games, I answered. I assumed you hadn't read it because most people who have generally agree that the bulk of material applies very well to cash games despite it being aimed at tournaments.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:40 PM

Of coarse you can use some of the information for cash games. My point was people shouldn't read HoH for cash game advice alone.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:45 AM

Harrington, repeatedly - easy to read books but you really need to let this stuff sink in
Theory of Poker, helpful for tourneys or cash

I recently picked up the Sit n Go strategy book by Collin Moshman. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way yet but it is probably worth reading if you plan on playing sit n go's. It contains some useful info that Harrington does not.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point was people shouldn't read HoH for cash game advice alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I disagree with your point, because the first Harrington is an excellent NLHE fundamentals book regardless of format, especially for intermediate players.

If you really insist on arguing further, please point out how many concepts and chapters you think don't apply to cash games. My copy here only has about 10% content that wouldn't apply to ring game play just as well as SNG/MTT play.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

What is PNL? I am still in the middle of reading HOH1, maybe I haven't gotten to it yet or have not realized what PNL means?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:58 PM

This one perhaps ...

http://twoplustwo.com/books.html#Professional%20No-Limit%20Hold%20'em:%20Volume%20I
Old 10-22-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is PNL? I am still in the middle of reading HOH1, maybe I haven't gotten to it yet or have not realized what PNL means?

[/ QUOTE ]

Refers to Professional No Limit Hold 'Em vol. 1, volume 2 coming out in a few months
Old 10-22-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Refers to Professional No Limit Hold 'Em vol. 1, volume 2 coming out in a few months

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I see. I thought PNL was some chapter in HOH.