Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Poll Results: 45% Favor Impeachment

Excerpt:

"Nearly half of the US public wants President George W. Bush to face impeachment, and even more favor that fate for Vice President Dick Cheney, according to a poll out Friday.
The survey by the American Research Group found that 45 percent support the US House of Representatives beginning impeachment proceedings against Bush, with 46 percent opposed, and a 54-40 split in favor when it comes to Cheney.

The study by the private New Hampshire-based ARG canvassed 1,100 Americans by telephone July 3-5 and had an error margin of plus or minus three percentage points. The findings are available on ARG's Internet site."

Breitbart article, ARG poll

What "high crimes and misdemeanors" could members of the administration actually be impeached for, if any? I'm having trouble thinking of anything that actually technically qualifies, although getting involved in the Iraq war under misleading pretenses might possibly qualify somehow? If impeachment were allowed merely for bad judgment and lousy execution, then debacles such as the Iraq war, the federal budget mess, and immigration policy all might qualify.

Could the Iraq war, from getting involved initially under false pretenses, to the horrible management of its aftermath, somehow truly qualify?

I feel like Bush has charged our country dearly for a bunch of pipe dreams. He was well-intentioned, surely; but you know what they say about the road to perdition. Sometimes bad judgment is more damning in real-world results than any other human flaw might prove to be. A sincere fool can sometimes do more damage than a crook.

I also blame Bush's ideological advisors, but that's a matter for another lengthy post and thread. The worst example of this is Bush's continual insistence that democracy will be the cure for the Middle East's woes. As all evidence points to the fact that democracy in the Middle East mainly empowers support for Shari'a, one wonders just when Bush will finally realize that empowering the forces of Shari'a is not a panacea for the Middle East's troubles nor is it in our best interests. Democrqacy without a super-strong civil-rights based Constitution is worthless in the Middle East, unless you happen to believe in the Shari'a version of civil rights.

What do you think, do Bush and Cheney merit impeachment from a strictly legal standpoint? How about on basis of lousy performance if impeachment were allowed for that? And lastly, who takes the attitude that they don't care if impeachment is stricly legally merited or not: it's well-deserved so go for it.

I'm not sure where I stand on these issues, in part because I don't have legal knowledge of impeachment. I do know however that grave damage has been done to the USA and to the Middle East and that this damage will not soon be remedied. The Neo-Con game is looking weaker and weaker as time goes by, and I for one will be glad to see the Neo-Cons out of there.

Thanks for reading, and all comments welcome.