Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Heads-up stud high hand.

This was one of my first hands at the table. I've never seen this guy before this session, but he seemed a bit overly aggressive from the few hands I'd watched him play against the guy who was sitting before I started playing. I'm almost certain he raises 4th with a 4-flush. Comments on all streets? I just called 3rd for deception and to try to get a double bet in on 5th street. I thought about check-raising 4th, but I thought this would completely reveal the strength of my hand, and I wanted to try to get 3 bets in the pot (I had second thoughts about waiting for 5th, because I was afraid he might have a 4-flush, in which case he will probably put in a lot of action on 4th, but slow down on 5th if he bricks, I also didn't want to see a third club and lose an opportunity to get money in the pot with the best hand). River seemed like a no-brainer check-raise.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.20 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises

4th Street - (4.20 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.10 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises

6th Street - (11.10 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (13.10 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (17.10 BB)
Old 11-10-2006, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Heads-up stud high hand.

I think you played it ok, except for the fact that I would have capped on 3rd & might have check raised him on 4th. You likely have the best hand at that point so get money in the pot. If he's as aggressive as you think, he won't fold a flush draw. He would also semi-bluff his flush draw. Luckily the river 7 saved your skin.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it ok, except for the fact that I would have capped on 3rd & might have check raised him on 4th. You likely have the best hand at that point so get money in the pot. If he's as aggressive as you think, he won't fold a flush draw. He would also semi-bluff his flush draw. Luckily the river 7 saved your skin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have reraised 3rd. I sometimes like to just call limp-reraises with big pairs heads-up so that my opponent can't read my hands as easily when I "might" be stealing.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Positively donkish on fifth, I believe. The man has raised you despite your prior show of strength on 3rd, 4th and 5th. You have the high pairs, so it's not likely he's overplayiing one in the pocket. No, my friend, he is announcing he has made his flush. Most obliging of you to give him two extra bets by three betting/calling his cap.

(Or perhaps you were feeling full house coming?)
Old 11-10-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Positively donkish on fifth, I believe. The man has raised you despite your prior show of strength on 3rd, 4th and 5th. You have the high pairs, so it's not likely he's overplayiing one in the pocket. No, my friend, he is announcing he has made his flush. Most obliging of you to give him two extra bets by three betting/calling his cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we putting him on a flush? Just because he raised with 3 clubs showing? This type of player would almost always raise on 4th street with a 4-flush.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:22 PM

Looks good to me.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 PM

Looks good to me.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or perhaps hes just smarter than you and realized (correctly so) that generally all aggressive players here would have raised on fourth with a four-flush. This player didn't. Also note that aggressive players will generally ALWAYS raise heads-up, with a three flush board on fifth. You would have done well to read below before posting.

[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen this guy before this session, but he seemed a bit overly aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

Since aggressive players (and most others) typically love to jam with four-flushes in such situations, he did a excellent job deducing that his opponent likely didn't have the flush on fifth, but a far more likley pair/four-flush or two pair hand. People who fail to 3-bet fifth in spots like these are leaving money on the table. And this is not only the case against a classified "overly aggressive" player. Soild players will also make a routine raise quite often here on fifth when they have the club board. Very well played.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Saxton, what site was this on?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saxton, what site was this on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokerstars.