Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: 6 numbers

There's something very appealing about multi-dimensions. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. Time can't exist as we know it. I do not believe there can be one beginning and one end. Time must wrap around itself somehow. Maybe there are infinite dimensions. But it seems to me, the only plausible reality even though it's something I can't begin to understand.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a miracle, those who can't see it don't understand the information being presented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read the article? Some of the numbers, if changed, would mean humans wouldn't exist, but not other types of life. It isn't too difficult to imagine millions of universes springing into existence, some succeeding and some failing.

I can show you a person who can win 20 rock-paper-scissor contests in a row; all you need is a million people. Rare events do not prove miracles.

The biggest problem in pointing at the universe to prove God is that the universe is far from perfect. Humans are one of the few (of all plants and animals) that don’t produce vitamin C; explain that.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:19 PM

Yes, the issues of "fine tuning" in cosmology are all rather profound. There exist some very serious papers by some very serious physicists attempting to explain this state of affairs in terms of postulated physical principles (in fact this is a huge issue for superstring theory these days), but apparently nobody here is even willing to admit that the need for fine tuning presents an issue worthy of attention -- essentially for fear of giving the the theists some kind of "upper hand." Oh, well -- it is a poker forum, I suppose.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:35 PM

To those who claim “imperfection” in the design of the universe:

Do you mean imperfect in terms of its intended function? If so, what do you consider that function to be?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:56 PM

Small things like god induced abortions aka miscarriages, deformed and unliveable birth, blind spot at the center of vision in the human eye, earthquakes , tsunami, etc.. I can go on and on. Of course some people have a very weird idea of perfection. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2006, 06:04 PM

Best reply to this thread.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An article I was reading LINK talks about 6 numbers that decide exactly how the universe is. If any of these six numbers were slightly different we would not be here. From this I draw three possible conclusions.

#1 - The universe was designed.
#2 - A ton of other universes exist, or have existed at "one time" (clearly, not time in our sense of it).
#3 - We got crazy lucky. Like egg landing on the ground and reassembling itself lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another option is that there is some fundamental reason the numbers have to balance in this way - it could well be pointing us towards a better physical theory (ie explain the miraculous balancing of all these different numbers with a simpler, underlying theory).
Old 03-16-2006, 06:11 PM

And another reason is that maybe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] life evolved to suit/fit in with whatever the numbers were. Ah, but that would be another proof of evolution, no? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-16-2006, 06:13 PM

Not to get all Zen on you, but I see only one conclusion.

The numbers are what they are and we are here. Wondering "what if? is a waste of mental energy.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to get all Zen on you, but I see only one conclusion.

The numbers are what they are and we are here. Wondering "what if? is a waste of mental energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurn bin Mogh,

But that would not flatter the enormously inflated ego of thos who see themselves as the centre and motive of a purposeful creation!