Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 01:32 AM

Default Stupid thread

I'm trying to convince my roommate to do a little studying for a test he has tomorrow, as opposed to playing poker. I said that an hour of studying would help in some way, he countered with "What I'm gonna know, I already know". Implying he won't be able to learn the other material he doesn't know in an hour.

I then told him he should try an internet messageboard, they can be a lot of help. He said it was a waste of time. He then gave me a piece of paper with the title:

PHY100: Conceptual Physics

With several formulas under it.

I then said he could probably post one of those formulas on some messageboard and have someone tell him what it means in layman's terms, in a few minutes.

I'm giving it a shot here to prove it's true.

What the hell does this:

Boltzmann constant = kb = 1.38110^-23 <u>PAm^3</u>
K (This K is supposed to be under those PAm letters)

mean?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Stupid thread

Boltzmann's constant k is a bridge between macroscopic and microscopic physics. Macroscopically, one can define a (gas scale) absolute temperature as changing in proportion to the product of the pressure P and the volume V that a sample of an ideal gas would occupy at the temperature.
Introducing Boltzmann's constant transforms this into an equation about the microscopic properties of molecules.

Stu
Old 03-21-2006, 07:45 AM

Is your "roommate" your son or daughter? If not, then I suggest you stop acting like his mom.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your "roommate" your son or daughter? If not, then I suggest you stop acting like his mom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestion. I try to help him get his stuff done because he's on academic probation for failing first semester, jerk.