Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: OT: Analysis of my recent results (long)

[ QUOTE ]
You are nowhere close to their class

[/ QUOTE ]
Difference between you and me. I am fully aware of this and are constantly trying to learn and improve. I know that when I post advice in a thread it might be flawed, and are willing to reconsider if someone posts an alternative line with good justification. You on the other hand are always correct and get suprerdefensive whenever someone disagrees. And before I stopped playing SnG's I at least were able to beat the 60's for a decent profit.

Edit: Oh didn't realise this was directed at eagles. You saved the sick "Norway is a joke of a country"-burn for me. Nh.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pineapple,
I hate to sound like a dick but this thread does a lot to explain why you are having so much trouble. Are you running bad? Probably but on numerous occasions people have tried to give you advice but you just don't listen. Seriously if you stopped being so stubborn and insisting you were right in every thread it would be a lot better for you. I hope you get over this and start winning again, while I realize observing the forum is not that accurate for determining why you are struggling but from what I have observed you not only have leaks in your game but you also have trouble with the mental attitude needed for success.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL it's funny how the clueless tools make themselves totally evident in this thread.

I have taken tons of advice from people who knew what they were talking about, eg. curtains, all the shipithollas, tigerite, etc. etc.

You are nowhere close to their class and will surely be a loser at life no matter what you attempt.

Yet another plonk. This is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pineapple,
I tried to be helpful, my advice was never meant as an attack but rather from what I have observed on the forum leaks in your game, be it misplaying hands or the mental aspect, the latter which I am starting to realize is far more important than I ever would have thought. Then you make a post with 0 content ripping on me for trying to help you out. Well I apologize for trying to help you but I hope you realize for your own sake every time you make a post like this you make my argument a little stronger.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:15 AM

Stop whining and get back to pwning like you know how to do. We all have our moments we'd like to forget. I posted in like 3214324324 retarded noob threads with good advice to make up for that train wreck. FWIW, it was eastbay and wikipedia, not you, who convinced me of certain truths.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:15 AM

pine i dont know what to say really. if you are still playing the only thin i can say is move down, perhaps way down, where you know for certain your edge is huge. i would think that would make it easier mentally. playing where your roi is the single digits sucks. once you hit a good/normal run for awhile its easier to see things in perspective. go from there
Old 12-08-2006, 04:16 AM

So what?

http://www.aleomagus.freeservers.com...calculator.xls

Have a play around on that (if you already haven't). 1261 SnGs really isn't that significant. Just keep playing if you think you're a big enough winner (it seems you do) or drop back down to where you think you are. gl
Old 12-08-2006, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pineapple,
I hate to sound like a dick but this thread does a lot to explain why you are having so much trouble. Are you running bad? Probably but on numerous occasions people have tried to give you advice but you just don't listen. Seriously if you stopped being so stubborn and insisting you were right in every thread it would be a lot better for you. I hope you get over this and start winning again, while I realize observing the forum is not that accurate for determining why you are struggling but from what I have observed you not only have leaks in your game but you also have trouble with the mental attitude needed for success.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL it's funny how the clueless tools make themselves totally evident in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure is.

You're [censored] delusional.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus, please realize that Norway is a joke of a country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy 13th birthday.

I've heard you're different in real life. I hope so for your sake.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:34 AM

I'm currently on the worst downswing of my life, and I'm really not that upset about it. I play $114, $225, $335, $555, and $1100 buyin sngs, so ridiculous swings come with the territory. I have also 'taken shots' in selective cash games and run even worse. Lately I've run terribly in the $1100 and $555s, and done great in the lower ones. Seems logical, but not to the degree to which it's played out. I'm running 'hot' in low buyin sngs and terribly in the big ones, not because the big ones are 'unbeatable' IMO, it's just a low sample size and somewhat of a crapshoot. As my bankroll decreases I play less bigger buyin sngs where the variance is higher- simple.

The bottom line is that when you're dealing with a craft that has roughly a 3-5% edge (more or less for some), you have to expect big swings, especially because of the nature of how the money gets in at times, since the majority of your swings come in allins when you're on the bubble or HU.

Over 1000 sngs, if you reach the final 4 50-52% of the time, you're going to have to deal with quite a few bubble showdowns. If you're getting HU roughly 25% of the time, you're going to be dealing with quite a few allins for big pots, and this is where the real swings come from.

So 1000 sngs is really not that many, because you're not dealing with massive pots all that often, maybe in only 20-25% of the sngs. If you're playing a $100 10 man SNG and are allin for 5000 chips each, you don't have $100 on the line but rather your current tournament equity of $400 ($500+300 for 1st/2nd), which is sometimes hard to take into account even though it's really obvious.

SNGs are like betting a 3 team parlay in sports betting; you can have a decent edge overall on the bet, but if you go on a run where the first two teams win and the third loses, you'll take a decent hit.

I used to like poker because I assumed the swings were better than in sports betting, which was my previous profession. The edge was visible and could be backed up using odds calculators and ICM models. However, in sports betting, your unit size is always the same, you don't have to worry about winning the 'big pots' like you do in SNGs or MTTs, and your edge generally hangs around 2-10% on the majority of your bets.

I'm not a statistics expert, but now that SNGs are significantly tougher, you're probably going to need to reach about 5000 sngs before you start seeing 'true' results. If you're breakeven or down after 5000 of them, it is likely time to do something else. Until then, hang in there and don't be afraid to move down.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Until then, hang in there and don't be afraid to move UP .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-08-2006, 05:03 AM

how old are you pineapple?

also, play more than 1200 obv
Closed Thread