Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: How to build credit

Is this thread ever gonna die??

FWIW, I work in the credit industry as a career. I agree, somewhat, with Henry & Thremp on this. There's too much risk for too little gain. If you are 21 years old who lives in your parent's basement & all you do is sit around on the computer all day playing cards & "apporama-ing"...then I guess you have time for all of this. But the rest of us have jobs, families, & a life of some sort...so it's not feasible for us to try this.

If you can make a little cash off this, then go for it. But beware! You miss a deadline, a payment, a transfer, etc & as I stated earlier...it'll come down around you like a house of cards. The temptation of so much easy credit & free money for the taking is too great for the average joe consumer to resist spending himself into a hole he will never dig out of. I see it all the time. IMO, this is a very bad idea.

It almost reminds me of a ponzi scheme.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but there is a forum dedicated to building credit. http://www.creditboards.com/forums/ They have some really good info for free. I used ideas over there to help fix my credit.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can double your yearly income if you pick up 10 dimes a minute. Why don't you go do that? Why are you posting on a forum? You certainly aren't making any money by posting on 2p2 and picking up 10 dimes a minute would have more utility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand my position. My point is that once you hit a certain income level you should avoid doing embarrassing stuff for money. Picking up change would certainly fall into the categories of acts I find embarrassing.

My issue with this was that I assumed someone could at most qualify for 120-150% of their yearly income in credit. Based on some of the posts it seems that this assumption is not true. If someone making $60k can get himself $200k in credit and wants to do this then by all means go ahead and do it. I just find it hard to believe that someone who makes that could qualify for that much credit. My assumption was that we were talking about someone who was making $150k+. I thought I made this clear before but obviously I didn't.

[ QUOTE ]
STFU with your $16/day spiel. That would be a great line to use if doing an app-o-rama took 12-24hours/day to complete. It only takes 2 hours max a month and even less time as months go by. Not to mention, cutting $16/day would have a much bigger negative impact than just "working" for 8 hours to make $12,000 and carrying that non-existent stigma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again since my assumption was that we are talking about someone who was making a lot of money cutting $16/day is actually not hard.

Also just stating that there is no stigma doesn't actually make it so. That this thread exists actually proves that a stigma does exist. People are getting angry and resorting to ad hominem attacks because they feel like I am judging them. If there was nothing to be embarrassed about no one would be getting upset.

Also it can't be a coincidence that of the four people I discussed this with all felt pretty much the same as I do.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM

They are attacking you because you are a troll. I've never done an app-o-rama and don't have any plans to do one soon, so I'm certainly not attacking you because I'm embarrassed. Also, all your assumptions are basically "everyone in the world is just like me." Get over yourself.

Basically all you have done is come in here, claim that because X does or does not happen, and because of that your claims are correct. Again, not disclosing information/attacking you != embarrassed. Here, I'll play your game: The next post you make will prove that you are an idiot!~
Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are attacking you because you are a troll. I've never done an app-o-rama and don't have any plans to do one soon, so I'm certainly not attacking you because I'm embarrassed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious question is why not? If it is such a good move why have you chosen to not take part?

The rest of your post doesn't really make sense. You need to calm down before responding. It will make it easier to follow that way.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are attacking you because you are a troll. I've never done an app-o-rama and don't have any plans to do one soon, so I'm certainly not attacking you because I'm embarrassed.

[/ QUOTE ]
The obvious question is why not? If it is such a good move why have you chosen to not take part?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read this thread? I stated that I'm lazy and the risk isn't worth the reward IN MY CASE, since there's a decent chance I miss a payment. In the future I will reconsider. However, unlike you, I can see how it's a great way to earn free money for others.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:50 PM

Henry,

I'm curious about some hypothetical situations and how you would deal.

You open up your wallet and X falls out. How large does X have to be before you bother to bend over and pick it up?

I will pay you X to dress up in a clown suit for ten minutes and parade up and down your street. How much does X have to be for you to accept?

I will deduct X from your daily spending. How large does X have to be before it impacts your daily QOL?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I probably would wear a clown suit for $10k, because who cares what other people think? Oh wait, you do. Immensely, apparently. I'd laugh it off and think "why is this idiot paying me $10k to wear a clown suit? oh well, i'll ponder it while im on a month long vacation with my girlfriend or investing it/paying off school debt. Nice that you and your friends go around judging each other for making money. And all this from someone who plays poker for a living? You spend your days grinding away, winning money off poor fools that don't know any better, probably lots of people with gambling problems blowing the rent check on poker. Interesing how that is fine, but working within the framework established by credit card companies to make a profit is sketchy and comparative to wearing a clown suit?

2)This isn't wearing a clown suit. It is filling out a couple forms and making some calls. Something that could be done while playing poker.

3)You keep talking about $16/day as if this is some full time occupation that involves daily work for slave wages. There is some work on the front end, but the profit comes from investing the money as you would any other funds you already have, so there is no additional work there.

4) If you don't care about $16/day, would you please ship that amount to me daily? If I had $6k to invest right now, I'd have over $100k at retirement. Sounds like a decent deal for me.

Why am I even bothering to argue with you when it is clear that you are an insecure elitist snob?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got all tingly and happy when I saw this. GG.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:24 AM

Yawn. Poor people want to scam credit card companies. I hope they donate money to charity or something else equally idiotic at the same time.

As an aside. I have some legit questions to help understand this better.

1) What exactly happens if you try that overpay thing and they don't like it? I think Meteron (?) mentioned his CC didn't like him overpaying. Do they just not accept it? Refuse it? Is all that happens they're just like "You can't do that" or does the 2nd company find out that you're scamming them?
2) Can someone explain to me more how your credit score and income are related to put together the amount of CCs you can get?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 AM

XXXNoahXXX,

I don't see why I should answer your hypothetical situations. #1 is easy but #2 everyone will just disagree with me on. #3 I can't answer without sounding braggadocios and also because quality of life is a very subjective criteria. So I'm going to pass.