Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach

Do you agree that a player can ready for the pros before he completes 4 years of college? And if you know that while recruiting him how do rationalize a decision to recruit him knowing he may not stay long enough to take the program to a higher level? Does coaches flighty loyalty negate all that with a "Today and now" attitude?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you agree that a player can ready for the pros before he completes 4 years of college? And if you know that while recruiting him how do rationalize a decision to recruit him knowing he may not stay long enough to take the program to a higher level? Does coaches flighty loyalty negate all that with a "Today and now" attitude?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a college coach like the OP, but the answer to this is so subjective. Was LeBron ready for the pros without playing in college? Of course. How about Kwame Brown, was he ready? The answer to that is probably no. Kwame Brown, to date has made 33 million dollars. Is it possible to say someone wasn't ready for the NBA when they made more money in 6 years than 99.9% of people do in their whole lifetime?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 PM

My intention was to frame the question in terms of athletes that enroll and then leave. It was more about a Kevin Durant than a LeBron.

Besides, LeBron and Oden are both older than Bill Russell.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My intention was to frame the question in terms of athletes that enroll and then leave. It was more about a Kevin Durant than a LeBron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the rules, Texas knew going in that Durant was going to college only because he had to, not because he wanted to. They also knew that, barring injury, Durant was only going to be in for a year. So what coach in his right mind would refuse to a top 5 recruit just because of that fact? They want to win and Durant gives them a better chance than someone who is not good enough to play in the NBA (and would therefore stay in school).
Old 10-05-2007, 07:10 PM

1. why are white americans who dominate college struggling to adjust to the NBA?

2. compare/contrast the college game to the pro game as best as you can.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Because of the rules, Texas knew going in that Durant was going to college only because he had to, not because he wanted to. They also knew that, barring injury, Durant was only going to be in for a year. So what coach in his right mind would refuse to a top 5 recruit just because of that fact? They want to win and Durant gives them a better chance than someone who is not good enough to play in the NBA (and would therefore stay in school).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd answer that but here's where I admit ignorance to whether the school loses the scholarship if he leaves. If they do, is that worth the roll of the dice for one year?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd answer that but here's where I admit ignorance to whether the school loses the scholarship if he leaves. If they do, is that worth the roll of the dice for one year?

[/ QUOTE ]
If they did lose the scholarship, schools like Florida and North Carolina would have few scholarships left, so I don't think they lose it.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coaches aren't allowed to actually coach the players until Midnight Madness, right?

It's also true that your players have been in the gym every week since the season finished in March, right?

So what do you do from March until October? How do the players know what to work on?

[/ QUOTE ] no, this is incorrect. Once a team's season is over, the coaches cannot coach until the end of the NCAA tournament. When that is finished, we have 4 weeks of "individual" workouts where we can workout 4 players at a time. I believe we are allowed to work with them for 120 minutes/wk for those 4 weeks.

During summer, we are not allowed to coach at all.

When school starts again, we have individual workouts for a few weeks (120 minutes/wk) and then we can start working with the whole team at the same time about a month into school. Again, each player can only be worked out for 120 minutes per week until the first official day of practice.

The players do weights and have open gym in the interim, but none of this can be mandatory.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Besides, LeBron and Oden are both older than Bill Russell.

[/ QUOTE ]Coaches have to make those decisions, as they affect the entire program. Coaches are aware of the players intent when they are recruiting them- sometimes they are willing to take a player for one year because they think he will help them take the next step, and sometimes the coaches dont think the player is good enough to move on so they are willing to take the chance.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. why are white americans who dominate college struggling to adjust to the NBA?

[/ QUOTE ] Many of them have never been asked to do more than one thing...ie they are only shooters, only low-post players, etc, and when they get the the pros they are being asked to do much more than that. Even more, however, they are being asked to defend players that are incredibly versatile and in most cases much more athletic. Also, most guards that don't make it do not have the dribbling ability/quickness they need to succeed in the NBA.

[ QUOTE ]
2. compare/contrast the college game to the pro game as best as you can.

[/ QUOTE ]-College bball has a much slower pace
-College play is more team oriented in regards to both offensive and defensive systems
-NBA is full of players that excel at multiple things, where college teams are full of players that excel at one thing and are good/ok at others.
-college players are much easier to work with because 1)they arent getting paid millions, 2)they dont run to the media when they dont get their way, and 3)they dont really have options once they get to a school