Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Protein Shakes and Fat burning?

Hey guys, I just wanted to know whats the deal with drinking protein shakes and burning fat. Brands like muscle milk are advertising that they are using "designer lipids" which aid in "fat burning" but does anyone have any evidence for or against this statement?

I am around 25-30 pounds overweight, and pretty much want to lose a good deal of fat, while building up muscle mass. I have been going to the gym 3 times a week, doing some lifting and light cardio. I was wondering if drinking protein shakes is beneficial or detrimental to my goals. By looking at the nutrition information, it seems like they are laden with fat (20-30% of RDV per shake), and worst of all saturated fats (10-20% of RDV). If they really aren't going to help me, i was wondering what sort of diet would be best.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Protein Shakes and Fat burning?

No idea about the protein shakes, but you don't need them. Read the FAQ, get on a healthy diet with lots of quality proteins and vegetables.

A Zone diet is an excellent one to follow.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:43 PM

get Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein powder. Have a shake within 40 min of working out and in between meals. Also do a heavier cardio on off days of weight training instead. Also make sure your on a solid program like 5X5 or something.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:07 PM

Don't take Muscle Milk, their claims are bogus and since each shake has so many calories it isn't going to help you drop body fat. You need to create a caloric deficit by dieting and exercising.

That said, ON 100% Whey or Dymatize Elite whey are both very good choices for shakes to take post-workout and will help your muscles repair themselves after you train.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:23 PM

if you don't get enough protein in your regular diet, supplement with whey. And always get some sort of post-workout nutrition. Drink a protein shake and get some simple sugars. Combine that with a healthy diet and you'll reach your medium term goals easily.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:31 PM

if your concern is losing weight, it's not the fat you should be worried about. you should be more concerned with simple carbs (sugar, starches from white bread, etc.) and running a calorie deficit. Fat does not make you fat, calories do.

The gnc “grand slam” has more protein than the muscle milk w/ less carbs/sugar and fewer calories.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 PM

Most of the claims are total BS, but there is a little bit of merit behind the idea of protein causing fat loss. Stick with Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey products after workouts and in the mornings.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:12 PM

Dymatize Elite whey has 1/6th the amount of cholesterol per serving, which is a standard indicator of the quality/purity of the protein. I used ON for a long time(6 years) and have recently switched over to Dymatize. Mixes better, more flavors, better protein, same price.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dymatize Elite whey has 1/6th the amount of cholesterol per serving, which is a standard indicator of the quality/purity of the protein. I used ON for a long time(6 years) and have recently switched over to Dymatize. Mixes better, more flavors, better protein, same price.

[/ QUOTE ] I used my sisters this week while I was in texas and it mixed horribly with out a blender. Although I am tempted to buy this stuff next time I need some protein powder.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Thats really weird, I mix mine with a spoon in a glass and its perfect. In shaker bottle it is like drinking chocolate milk.

ps. the chocolate mint flavor tastes like girl scout cookies thin mints. A++++++