Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Tennis Matches Fixed?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wait, so please tell what happened. There was 7 mil bet on the match, all against the underdog and the davydenko wins 1st set and then defaults because of a foot injury down 2-1 in the 3rd?

so was he is on the fix and took a dive to make some money or what?

or did the betters just know he was injured before the match and thought he would default?

because if davydenko is found to be taking a dive, wouldn't this be a serious thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds were way too obviously abnormal so Betfair rightly voided the market. During live play, Davydenko wins first set and yet the market is still heavy on the underdog opponent. WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever seen a WR or QB get knocked upside the head and think 'he's coming out?'

Or an MLB pitcher take one off the hand?

Or a boxer ahead on points getting beat up late?

If [and I say only if] Davy had a known injury that one could see was bothering him, it makes perfect sense to bet the other way. If not, then I agree with you.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM

This thing stinks to high heaven. Davydanko opened as a 1/7 favorite, which is about right for the number 4 player in the world against a relative nobody. By the time the match started he wasn't even the favorite. Then, after WINNING the first set, you could back him at 4.3/1 AGAINST. What a joke. The only real question is how wide spread is this type of thing?? Sounds like quite a number of matches played have very suspicious looking betting. Sad.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:18 AM

Tomas Berdych speaks about it in an interview. Apparently some ex-mafia guy spoke to all the players earlier this year in Miami. Fascinating.

Q. Did you go to the talk that the Mafia boss gave in Miami?
TOMAS BERDYCH: Yeah, we were just sitting like you and he was talking to us, so I heard.

Q. What kind of stuff did he tell you?
TOMAS BERDYCH: Yeah, he was talking about all his life, what it happens to him, all these things with the bad things, with the peoples from Mafia. When they catch you, it's like no chance to get out, all these things, so...

Q. "Catch you," like if you get into debt to them?
TOMAS BERDYCH: No, imagine like if you have a situation that they gonna come to you and they give you the offer with money and tell you, If you lose this match, you gonna get whatever. You say, Okay, right, this is [censored] tournament, whatever, it's already the bad thing. It happens once, and they gonna come again another tournament and you're going to say, No, I don't want to do it, I'm going to play. Then the problem starts. So that's what I mean.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:30 PM

wow, Russian mafia (KGB?) got to Davydanko and told him to lose the match is my best guess. He retired with a "foot injury" and is playing the next week in Canada. Not much of an injury eh. haha
Old 08-09-2007, 11:07 AM

Davydenko is playing again today against another Russian, Youzhny. Sharp books (Pinny, Betfair) make Youzhny a small favourite, but square books may still rate Davy.

I can't believe how little damage seems to have been done by this disgraceful match-fixing incident.

Will Davy have his head in the game today? I, for one, doubt it.........
Old 08-09-2007, 04:25 PM

The numbers guy at WSJ just did a blog entry summarizing this neatly. http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/susp...nis-match-164/
Not sure if you need a subscription (I already have it, so I get all content)
Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Anyone can get in to the blogs, no sub required.

Thanks for posting that.

-P