Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 AM

Default quick question about talking during a hand..

the pots three way, i open raise on the cut-off for 4bbs with pocket nines. (two very passive players) the button re-raises for 12 bbs and the OOP player pushes for his remaining 40 bbs or so.

obviously im not going to call, and i made a very educated guess and i said aloud "pocket jacks or tens?" while im mucking my hand. The button decides for a while and manages to call the remaining 28 bbs, and she flips over a q suited.

flop comes A x x x x and he takes down a decent size pot.
the OOP player shows J J and is furious at me for saying my guess aloud as that compromised the pot. i explained to him he couldnt have played the hand more obvious from my perspective (as he ALWAYS slow plays kk aa) and he got up left the room for the rest of the night.

it was only 1-2nl so i didnt feel he needed to get so upset considering how low the stakes were, so my question is: since i was involved in the pot am i allowed to speak my thoughts, or is considered bad mannered to even talk while involved in a hand? obviously this may be an opinionated response but i would like some replies.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: quick question about talking during a hand..

It's inappropriate to talk about a hand in play unless it's heads up and you are one of the two contesting the pot.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:55 AM

It is bad etiquette to guess the guys hand when you are not hu. This is because you words clearly influence remaining play.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the OOP player shows J J and and he got up left the room fis furious at me for saying my guess aloud as that compromised the pot. i explained to him he couldnt have played the hand more obvious from my perspective

[/ QUOTE ]

Omg, I can imagine the dialogue "hey you are not supposed to make comments on my hand as it can help other player" "yeah but I am so smart I figured out your hand cause poker is so easy for me".
Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i explained to him he couldnt have played the hand more obvious from my perspective

[/ QUOTE ]

And since it was obvious you felt compelled to point it out to the third player because you wanted to prove that you can see the obvious?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 AM

I have a question, would this be any different if he made a clearly sarcastic comment like "You have 27 os, right".
Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question, would this be any different if he made a clearly sarcastic comment like "You have 27 os, right".

[/ QUOTE ]

He shouldn't be making any ccomment about the hand, but nobody is likely to get upset when the comment appears to be a joke.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He shouldn't be making any ccomment about the hand, but nobody is likely to get upset when the comment appears to be a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

so perfect
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the OOP player shows J J and and he got up left the room fis furious at me for saying my guess aloud as that compromised the pot. i explained to him he couldnt have played the hand more obvious from my perspective

[/ QUOTE ]

Omg, I can imagine the dialogue "hey you are not supposed to make comments on my hand as it can help other player" "yeah but I am so smart I figured out your hand cause poker is so easy for me".

[/ QUOTE ]

well didnt go QUITE like that, but it was more of an impulsive gesture saying it aloud. (considering i played online alot more than live)

but yea against players that moronic about how they play their hands, it isnt very hard to pinpoint his handm especially when the guy has been leaning back in his chair mucking for the past half hour and he suddenly straightens up when he enters the pot.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

but yea against players that moronic about how they play their hands, it isnt very hard to pinpoint his handm especially when the guy has been leaning back in his chair mucking for the past half hour and he suddenly straightens up when he enters the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear that?

That's the sound of you missing the point of the replies to your post.