Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: How to Meditate.

Never saw this thread until today... great post. I need to work on it. I tend to give up on meditation far too early. I try it once every few weeks but give up and do something else within a minute. I suck [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what did it feel like hwne you meditated for 5 minutes without any thoughts arising?

[/ QUOTE ]

It only ever happened once. It was an extremely bizarre experience. I actually don't want to go into it on a message board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? For some reason this has me fascinated, but maybe I am reading too much into it. Could you expand on this please?

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear you're only fascinated because I said that I didn't want to go into it. The reasons for that are not shame, too personal, etc etc. It's because it would distract too much from the topic at hand. I am 100% certain that a lot of people would jump on board calling me out and saying that I'm full of it and that it's not possible.

I'm happy to help out people who want to meditate but I have no interest in putting myself in an undefendable position on a public message board.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if anything happened other than nothing happening, wouldnt it just mean you werent actually not thinking?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:14 AM

I think you just singlehandedly broke the English language. ... and blew my mind!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
adsman,

I tried a walking meditation the other day, but couldn't sync my breathing and steps for the life of me. Any suggestions?

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of a walking meditation, try this; the next time you do a menial chore, such as the washing up, try to empty your mind and be a part of that menial task. Immerse yourself in the act while suspending all thought. Much more effective and you don't run the risk of walking into a tree.

[/ QUOTE ]

aaaaand this is why i smoke pot.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 PM

serious queestion: do you ever meditate on the toilet?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:32 AM

Bookmarking this thread to start the meditation process once I get over this cold. vn thread
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 AM

Nice bump, I was quite surprised to see this. Lets have a look ...

[ QUOTE ]
How long have you been practicing meditation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since 1993.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you continued pracitcing it everyday since this thread, including through the stressful time when you opened your bar when it might be hardest to meditate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've let it slip since the bar stress. I will consider your bump my own wake-up call.

Oh, and once again, welcome back.

[ QUOTE ]
Ever tried Holosync? Its supposed to work a lot faster than traditional meditation.

[/ QUOTE ]

never tried it, but the whole idea of something working faster really negates the whole concept of meditation.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey ads, do you have any experience in Lucid Dreaming? I figure the two things are somewhat related.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could wiki this but I don't know anything about it to be honest. Sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the few good ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the best ones have already been mentioned in this thread. Thich Nhat Hanh's 'The Miracle of Mindfulness' was mentioned as was 'I am That' by Sri Nisargadatta. These two alone will keep you occupied for years.

[ QUOTE ]
well if anything happened other than nothing happening, wouldnt it just mean you werent actually not thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, reading back through the original thread it was obvious that I was very wary of writing some stuff. I think that was due to the fact that I didn't have a solid reputation at the time. I think that may have improved somewhat in the last 18 months, so I'll tell you what happened. If you choose to accept it, great. If you don't, no problem.

I sat down to meditate in the early afternoon for my regular 20 minute stint. I slipped into the calm state very easily on this attempt, surprisingly so. After a short time I was no longer thinking. I was observing. It was extremely bizarre but I willed myself to remain calm and not ruin it. A coil of energy seemed to unwrap itself from my naval and spread gradually through my body until it had filled me to the ends of my fingers and toes and the tips of my ears. I felt like I was pulsating with energy. At this point I literally became bigger. My awareness was no longer myself, it was the room. I was the room. That was freaky enough, but then it expanded beyond the rooms boundaries and through the rest of the house and out onto the street. I was aware of every little detail, of the air, of the leaves, of birds and insects, everything. I was a part of it all. My awareness seemed to swell to a great height. I didn't "look" down. I didn't need to. I "was" down. I was everything around me. My body was below me in the great distance but I had encompassed everything. Or maybe that was untrue. Perhaps I had "woken up" for a brief moment and I was experiencing true reality with the blindfold of humanity taken away.

It lasted for five minutes and then I began to withdraw back to myself. Everything happened in reverse motion and then I was sitting in my chair breathing in and out. I sat there in silence for a long time.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to read Esquire.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, reading back through the original thread it was obvious that I was very wary of writing some stuff. I think that was due to the fact that I didn't have a solid reputation at the time. I think that may have improved somewhat in the last 18 months, so I'll tell you what happened. If you choose to accept it, great. If you don't, no problem.

I sat down to meditate in the early afternoon for my regular 20 minute stint. I slipped into the calm state very easily on this attempt, surprisingly so. After a short time I was no longer thinking. I was observing. It was extremely bizarre but I willed myself to remain calm and not ruin it. A coil of energy seemed to unwrap itself from my naval and spread gradually through my body until it had filled me to the ends of my fingers and toes and the tips of my ears. I felt like I was pulsating with energy. At this point I literally became bigger. My awareness was no longer myself, it was the room. I was the room. That was freaky enough, but then it expanded beyond the rooms boundaries and through the rest of the house and out onto the street. I was aware of every little detail, of the air, of the leaves, of birds and insects, everything. I was a part of it all. My awareness seemed to swell to a great height. I didn't "look" down. I didn't need to. I "was" down. I was everything around me. My body was below me in the great distance but I had encompassed everything. Or maybe that was untrue. Perhaps I had "woken up" for a brief moment and I was experiencing true reality with the blindfold of humanity taken away.

It lasted for five minutes and then I began to withdraw back to myself. Everything happened in reverse motion and then I was sitting in my chair breathing in and out. I sat there in silence for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This, followed by

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to read Esquire.

[/ QUOTE ]

this, makes me LOL
Old 10-23-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for sharing your experience

Do you have any idea why you experienced that, that one time, and havent been able to attain that state since?

Do people with much more experience (like monks and stuff) talk about similar things? Or at least some you respect talked about that kinda thing? Cuz I imagine there is a lot of [censored] spread out (yogi flying and all that stuff)
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 PM

How did this experience change your view on life? Did it change your behaviours? How?

Have you had another one of these types of experiences? If not, do you feel like you were more "aware" shortly after it and now you're kind of slipping away? Or is it the same?