Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 06:34 AM

Default HU vs 6max and full ring

Simple question, interested in what people think and if you have any examples

Can a player who starts with heads up poker, with no experience from other forms of poker, become a winner at 25-50NL+?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: HU vs 6max and full ring

If you can start out playing heads up , then I believe you can make the transition to other games a lot easier than if it were the other way around . Heads up teaches you how to handle marginal situations which can pay dividends, if exercised properly , in 6 max or full ring tables .
Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 AM

Possibly. Interesting idea. I always feel it is the opposite because my 6max game is totally out of control if I have been playing alot of HU
Old 10-03-2007, 09:47 AM

i think if you can tighten up as players are added the HU experience will help improve your overall game but wont make you a guaranteed winner
Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly. Interesting idea. I always feel it is the opposite because my 6max game is totally out of control if I have been playing alot of HU

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I guess we all have that. The first couple of hundred hands we are total spewmonkeys trying to valuebet our ace high and raise 87o UTG. But as you get the feel for the game, and "go with the flow" you will almost guaranteed be a better player than had you not played HU before.

If I now sit down at a 6max table now I realize how much value many players leave on the table.

BUT you have to learn to sometimes lay down hands that you wouldnt dream of folding in HU. As soon as you get the idea for that to do you will crush the equivalent 6max stakes (of what you play HU).
Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think if you can tighten up as players are added the HU experience will help improve your overall game but wont make you a guaranteed winner

[/ QUOTE ]

It will make you a spew-tard in most games.

Also if you can beat 25/50HU you would easily be able to make the transition to 6max etc. Someone playing that level of poker would able to identify differences between the games and to understand how, why and when to make adjustments and exploitative plays.