Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Time Travel Game: how would you make money?

I am assuming that a horse punter in the US or Europe would have similar experiences and memories.

I also know that the Brisbane Broncos won the 1992 ARL Premiership - but I have no idea who won NFL/NHL/MLB etc.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what about inventing something that hasn't been invented yet? The iPod...online poker...who knows? But can it return $1 million in a year? Doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you going to invent an iPod based on what you know right at this moment? I'm lucky if I can even get iTunes to work most days. Plu even if you invented it on $500, what are you going to do with it? How are you going to create demand for a product nobody knows exists and is incompatible with their current software?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....I know! that's my point! What COULD you "invent" or discover easily, though?

[/ QUOTE ]

To turn 500 into 1,000,000 you need your cumulative betting odds to total 2000:1 (neglect fees and expenses for simplicity). It all depends on how much you remember from '92-93 and what kind of bets are available to see if you can make those odds happen. I think there's a lot you can do to m ake that happen since all your bets are locks. The '92 election is an easy one. World Series, NBA Finals, Super Bowl, and associated playoff games are locks, too. Just 6 or 7 bets in the 1.5:1 to 2:1 range will get you near 100:1. Then you just need to find one good 20:1 bet or two 10:1 bets and you're done (or continue smaller bets if you can't find the action for that amount of money). There's lots of ways you might do this. Just living through 1992-3 again will bring back all kinds of memories of things that happened. I don't think this is nearly as hard as you think (assuming you were old enough to pay attention to the world in 1992).

Edit: An interesting variable would be if your presence in 1992 somehow created a series of events which changed the outcome of one of your bets and you lost it all at the end. Let's work together on a script -- this idea is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha! I read a fantastic novel in the 80's called Time Slip or Time Frame or Time-something that was fantastic. and I wish I could find it.

It was about a man in his 40s who suddenly finds himself back in college, looking like a young man to everyone but himself. He does go the sports betting route, by the way.

After a few years, he slips back in time yet again to the same point in college.

At one point he wonders if there are others like him and posts classified ads asking if people "miss" TV shows and movies that haven't been made yet...

He keeps living forward but then slipping back to the same starting point, in a steadily decreasing amount.

Example:

His first time slip lasts ten years....the next one lasts 5 years, then 2 1/2 years, etc...until at the end he's slipping every minute/30 seconds/15 seconds and so on.

Very cool book.

I wish to hell I could remember the name or the author....a google search hasn't helped me...
Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 AM

Dom, this book sounds incredibly fascinating. I would love to read it, but my quick searching through Amazon came up empty. (Though I got excited when I thought maybe it was Timeshare...thought I had found it). That book seems quite different though.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:14 AM

Could it be "Replay" by Ken Grimwood?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 AM

I'd become a beat maker. I don't know how well "our" music would appeal to the early 90s but with material ranging from Britney Spears to Linkin Park to Pharrell, I'm sure I could produce something successful. Could do this in well under a year.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could it be "Replay" by Ken Grimwood?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this may be it...it sounds just like what I described!

Replay
Old 09-10-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd become a beat maker. I don't know how well "our" music would appeal to the early 90s but with material ranging from Britney Spears to Linkin Park to Pharrell, I'm sure I could produce something successful. Could do this in well under a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? The technology in 1992 would not allow this...plus, what makes you think music today would be popular during the "grunge" period of popular music?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:41 AM

When you take into account how much better your memory is when "jogged" I think this should be doable. E.g. when you see major world events or sporting events unfolding, it should be possible to rush to a bookmaker.

e.g. one "dead cert" bet in August 1992 is for GWB.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:37 PM

To everyone betting on sports: Betting individual games is a dumb way to go about this. It would be far more profitable to look at whatever long shot prop-bets the books have and bet on those, like picking the entire playoff bracket at the beginning of a season, or betting on a specific player breaking a long-standing single season record, etc.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To everyone betting on sports: Betting individual games is a dumb way to go about this. It would be far more profitable to look at whatever long shot prop-bets the books have and bet on those, like picking the entire playoff bracket at the beginning of a season, or betting on a specific player breaking a long-standing single season record, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since in theory every bet you make is a cinch, who cares? Bet on every single thing you can that you remember. Games, seasons, prop bets, whatever.