Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Six Years in Las Vegas

[ QUOTE ]

As far as his resolve I have to give him credit...6 years is a fckn long time in a $hithole like Vegas. I lived there for about 6 months through the summer of 06 up until November, and while I played and did pretty well I was completely bored and out of my element. It was not very satisfying, even being up a few grand after 1/2 dozen hours of live poker, buying a new car and living in a very nice house with a group of good guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I have houses in Vegas, Aspen, and San Diego and Vegas is far from a "$hithole" as you call it. You probably had no clue what to do or where to go. Btw I haven't been on the strip more than 3 times so far this year. Get a clue about what you are talking about before dissing someone's home.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Three Years in Las Vegas

holy old post!

so dynasty, what stakes do you play now and how fast did you move up the levels?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As far as his resolve I have to give him credit...6 years is a fckn long time in a $hithole like Vegas. I lived there for about 6 months through the summer of 06 up until November, and while I played and did pretty well I was completely bored and out of my element. It was not very satisfying, even being up a few grand after 1/2 dozen hours of live poker, buying a new car and living in a very nice house with a group of good guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I have houses in Vegas, Aspen, and San Diego and Vegas is far from a "$hithole" as you call it. You probably had no clue what to do or where to go. Btw I haven't been on the strip more than 3 times so far this year. Get a clue about what you are talking about before dissing someone's home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... I live in LV too, and while I would not call it a $hithole, I would definitely call it a cultural and recreational wasteland.

(The recreational part is somewhat a matter of taste though... obv for people into drinking, clubbing, and gambling it's mecca.)

Culturally LV is just astonishingly empty. You can't find a single independent video store or movie theater, the public libraries are awful, book stores are rare. Theater almost nonexistent. Concerts almost all $150+ arena shows.

Also if you have a family or something the schools and social services are terrible. Including the hospitals I hear.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 AM

seems kinna wierd. cant beat 10-20 but playes 1-2nl. i agree with dali
Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 AM

no offense, but that was the most depressing [censored] ive ever read. to think you have just wasted 6 years and are exactly where you started from...maybe worse
Old 08-01-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no offense, but that was the most depressing [censored] ive ever read. to think you have just wasted 6 years and are exactly where you started from...maybe worse

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, he hasn't necessarily wasted 6 years of his life just because he doesn't have a ton of money. Money doesn't have much value at the end of the day, at least not to some people.

If he's doing what he wants to do with his life then I wouldn't call it a waste or depressing.

Sorry for your loss though Dynasty, good luck this year. Love the updates.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm... I live in LV too, and while I would not call it a $hithole, I would definitely call it a cultural and recreational wasteland.

(The recreational part is somewhat a matter of taste though... obv for people into drinking, clubbing, and gambling it's mecca.)

Culturally LV is just astonishingly empty. You can't find a single independent video store or movie theater, the public libraries are awful, book stores are rare. Theater almost nonexistent. Concerts almost all $150+ arena shows.

Also if you have a family or something the schools and social services are terrible. Including the hospitals I hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you fully on this topic. Though, I enjoy the hikes @ Red Rock, frisbee league @ Acacia Park, and drunk volleyball on friday nights. Ya can still find your niche out here and have fun.

Dynasty, I appreciate all the comments that you have put into this forum. Yet, I hope you keep your options open.

JL
Old 08-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Having journalism background and having lived in Dallas, Chicago and Boston, the public library here is quite all right. You probably aren't going to the right one(s)? There are many branches.

There's plenty to do here. I've seen Clapton and Seegar for less than $80 ea, this year. Buffett later, for same. (Really looking forward to that!)

What do you mean "recreation" is lacking? What else would you want to do? Hell, you can even go ice skating here.

Outside of NY, what place has "theater"? Or are you thinking something like in The Big Lebowski?

MicMan, I just think you're way off on your view of Vegas. A city of 2 million people has everything any place else does, of comparable size, and this is still a very young city. Comparing it to cities who've been around for a couple of centuries is ridiculous.

I suggest you explore more.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Thank you for opening up your life and sharing. I enjoyed reading about your journey through life and the World of Poker. Regardless of the outcome, stepping out of your comfort zone is a brave and admirable thing. Best of luck in editing, poker, and life.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:44 PM

Dynasty, i admire the honesty to give us your feelings. You write very well. Lucky number Seven?