Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Having the worst period since I started playing, some support please

Do you play full ring or six max at Crypto?
So I have the same same problem but opposite. I played mainly on Crypto NL 100 and 200 full ring. I left at the begining of the month mainly because the 1/2 games rarely go. I have done very well at the riduculous tight games.
I moved over to IPN and the games are way looser and worse players. But after 8000 hands I am down 5 buy ins.
Variance sucks. At least I hope its variance.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Having the worst period since I started playing, some support plea

If you really hunt on the Cryptos and play at peak time there are still those 45/10/1 types that make it worthwhile as high as the 20/40 pound. (I play limit mostly). FWIW I am on a 50k breakeven and hating life in general. I am seriously beginning to doubt it's variance and that I just suck. Maybe I should get a coach??!!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:45 AM

Since Oct last year I had quads cracked 4 seperate times, and a straight-flush once. So if anyone has it worse than that, let me know. I just never made that much a BFD because the first few times I was sort of wanting that to happen almost. Like, see... I had quads broken. (Ok, I'll admit yes I was upset those times, but not as much as most people I think would). Another factor is that I do a lot of Omaha & stud, so it's quite easier than say, in HOld'em to lose with quads.

But what really hurts, is I never was able to get the BBJ because either I wasn't using BOTH hole cards, or my opponent wasn't. Or we didn't mean the minimum jacks-or-better, etc. There is always something in those rules to screw you over isn't there!?

Now after factoring all that in, what really gets me is the smaller hands.. rolled up hands getting busted by donkeys chasing inside straights to the river when they had no business in the pot in the first place. Having that happen all day to the same donk who has had your number all week, gets my blood going a little. I am still working on not going on tilt in that dept. Getting there, but not 100% tilt free yet.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you play full ring or six max at Crypto?
So I have the same same problem but opposite. I played mainly on Crypto NL 100 and 200 full ring. I left at the begining of the month mainly because the 1/2 games rarely go. I have done very well at the riduculous tight games.
I moved over to IPN and the games are way looser and worse players. But after 8000 hands I am down 5 buy ins.
Variance sucks. At least I hope its variance.

[/ QUOTE ]
6max, mainly on the $100NL and £50NL tables. What's IPN? IPoker Network?

[ QUOTE ]
If you really hunt on the Cryptos and play at peak time there are still those 45/10/1 types that make it worthwhile as high as the 20/40 pound. (I play limit mostly). FWIW I am on a 50k breakeven and hating life in general. I am seriously beginning to doubt it's variance and that I just suck. Maybe I should get a coach??!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard that you can more easily have long break even stretches in fixed limit compared to no limit, but 50k still sounds really brutal. That's one of the reason I'm not playing fixed limit. Some of the NL games, especially the £ tables, have some really bad players sometimes, which makes me feel even worse when I'm not making money from them. I know I've had some tough luck, but I'm also starting to doubt my play.

[ QUOTE ]

Now after factoring all that in, what really gets me is the smaller hands.. rolled up hands getting busted by donkeys chasing inside straights to the river when they had no business in the pot in the first place. Having that happen all day to the same donk who has had your number all week, gets my blood going a little. I am still working on not going on tilt in that dept. Getting there, but not 100% tilt free yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
The same has been happening to me, if I have TPTK, the donk makes two pair, no doubt, and against my sets it's freakin faith that they'll make their straight or flush or why not a better set? The miracle cards will come. Every time it happens I think about the day when my bad luck will stop.

Sucks that you never got the BBJ. Isn't the rake higher on those tables? Is it worth playing there in the long run?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:16 AM

When I played at Prima, I had to play at a higher rake table just to get a chance for the BBJ. Other sites, Titan didn't have that, and any table was eligible. I don't know if Titan still has a BBJ but I dont think it was that large. Speaking of crypto, they also have a small BBJ. No extra rake there either, but as I said, I never could meet their 100 & 1 specific requirements. Though I do remember watching some guy win the BBJ at a low stakes table. I think the jackpot had been hit just recently and combined with the low stakes (you get paid more for higher) he didn't win much. In fact, I think his BBJ didn't even pay for the huge pot he lost in the hand LOL!

I've seen stranger stuff in my life. A guy got a royal flush twice in just 3 consecutive hands over at Pacific when I was playing there, or it might have even been Back to Back hands IIRC.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:21 PM

Yeah, I remember that the BBJ requirements at Prima were ridiculous. In combination with the higher rake it makes no sense to play at those Prima tables.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM

As the poker boom subsides a bit and the US ban on internet poker takes effect, many many players who were either running better than long term expectation or who were marginal winners against softer opposition are now losers. It's been pointed out before that players who start out running good are more likely to go pro -- even if they are ultimately only marginal winners or losers. It may well be that you are not a winning player, or only marginally a winner, either because games have changed or because you were running good before.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 PM

I also play at Crypto and have gone exactly through the same thing. You just need to keep playing, it will come a moment where you will be making money as easy as you lose it now.

Of course you need to make a good game selection there are a LOT of games from the lower levels who are very dry.

Also, unless you have a very effective LAG style I.m afraid your winrate is never going to be very high, so you should get used to the breakeven periods. Although with the good bonus at Crypto plus good RB shouldn.t be that bad.

dardo.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:57 AM

I find jacking off really helps me when I'm getting stressed
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find jacking off really helps me when I'm getting stressed

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly the most honest post I've ever seen.