Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Stud H/L 3 to a low straight flush, with cards dead

Don't play much stud, but I do occasionally play in a micro-limit HORSE or HOSE tournament to broaden my horizons and blow off some steam. This hand is from one of those. First Stud H/L round, single-table tournament. Did I play this right? I'll only through 5th street, you'll see by then that everybody is pretty well committed to the hand, and results don't matter as much to me as figuring out how to play this game.

Tournament - HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low - Level V (80/160), Ante 16 (converter)

Seat 1: 1,960
Seat 2: 1,950
Seat 3: 2,454
Seat 5: 1,492
Hero: 1,658
Seat 7: 220
Seat 8: 2,266

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

I have the bring-in with the 3 in the door, and 3 to a straight-flush and low. I made a full bet and called a raise. Despite seeing three of my hearts on the board, is this right? The raiser is the only other player who could have as many as 3 to a low at this point.

4th Street - (9.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___raises

Another heart is dead, but I picked up a 4-card OESD, and 4 to a nut low. This feels like a strong hand, but should I be worried about the heavy action I'm getting here (considering I don't have a made hand yet), or happy for it?

5th Street - (10.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls

I've got a made 75 low, but Seat 3 might have the same or better. Also picked up a 4th heart, and still have an OESD. But now the guy with KQ is coming alive and betting agressively instead of just calling. This street pretty much commits me to the hand, so the rest of it probably doesn't matter much. I'll post it later if requested.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Stud H/L 3 to a low straight flush, with cards dead

This looks fine to me. Seat 1 probably has a big pair or 2 pair and thinks you're both going low and he can milk a couple of bets out of whichever of you loses. I would actually suspect that Seat 3 has a similar hand to yours, including the draw.

I've never played stud/8 in tournament format. Must be brutal... stud/8 hands are often multi-way and jamming like this on 5th and 6th is common so I can see how you could go through your whole stack in one hand. In comparison stud and razz rarely cost you so much to see the river.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:37 PM

thoroughly as standard as possible

(exception: I BI for a full bet 0% of the time. thoughts?)
Old 11-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Oh, I actually didn't notice the full complete bringin. Hmm. I don't have it in front of me but I think Ray Zee's book indicates that a completion-bringin is almost always a hand like what you have [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I think I actually like a regular BI, hope someone completes, and then raise. I'm not sure you actually *want* to limit the field here, but I do think you'd like to get some money in there.

Especially given the other visible up cards you have the best low draw, and some nice high potential. Personally I wouldn't mind playing this hand multiway.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM

Thanks guys.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never complete my BI either, but I wonder if there's value in doing it at microstakes games with very strong hands where your opponents often won't notice the difference anyways.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

I'm thinking seat 1 has at least high pair if not 2 pair. Seat 3 obviously is pushing his made 7 low. Unless he has 4A or 3A down you could be chopping the low. I'd let seat 3 drive the action until you get the flush or wheel. I like this hand and the way it was played so far.

I don't think bringing in full is that big a deal either way. Hero could be advertising AA down as well as the actual low hand with a good draw to high, so it really doesn't give away too much other than hero really likes his hand.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM

IMO one of the problems with bringing in full is that (assuming they are paying attention) you are encouraging your opponents to steal from you when they might otherwise give you a walk, the times you do a regular bring in with garbage.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I complete the bring-in in certain tournament scenarios, usually when the completion pot-commits me to go to showdown.

I think that TPFAP suggests that you jam less with draws in tournaments than you would in cash games, so hero might play it more passively on third than he would in a cash game, but on fourth his hand is so ridiculously strong that he should jam.

If seat 3 understands this concept, then hero has reason to worry, because his opponent is representing four to a low flush on fourth (or possibly a set). Since villain raised on third, I am inclined to believe that he either started with three to a straight flush (possibly with one gap) or the ace and another baby club in the hole, if he started with three clubs.

I honestly wouldn't hate it if OP chose to slow down a bit on fifth, especially because this is a tournament. Villain isn't jamming with every possible 7-low that he might hold.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Cap 5th, it will make both the other low and the high check to you on 6 and 7. The money you are raising with is going in the pot anyways and you will likely not end up having to put more money in if you decide to check down. Furthermore, the other low hand may be an idiot with a garbage low or he might have a worse low. Raise and take control of the hand. Its important in this game.