Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the Yankees trade Hughes or Joba for Santana I will stop being a fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Johan projects way better for the next 5 years than either of them, and the money for the Yankees is irrelevant. why in the world wouldn't you want Johan for Hughes?

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason:

Hughes is 21.

Santana is 28.

[/ QUOTE ]

by the time Johan is in decline, Hughes will be a FA
Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 PM

If the Twins said that they would trade Johan for Hughes straight up I can't see any reason in the world why you would say no. I think if this was offered by the Twins and the Yankees didn't take it I would cry if I were a Yankee fan.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:29 PM

1. They need starting pitching. I don't know how many times it needs to be shown that starting pitching is the key to success in the postseason. Time and time again it has been shown (with the Yankees as the prime example) that no matter how good your lineup is, starting pitching can shut it down.

2. Let A-Rod walk. Yes, he is arguably the best hitter in the MLB, but they don't need him. Their lineup is good enough. Sign a mediocre third baseman, or play Betemit everyday. Use the extra money to overpay for premier starting pitching.

3. If it comes to trading Hughes/Chamberlain for Santana, do it. Sure, Hughes and Chamberlain are studs, but we are talking about the BEST pitcher in the league at the age of 28.

4. Bye, Joe.

5. Hello, Joe.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? (Assuming Santana is signed long-term.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a stupid move. Both guys could turn out to have Santana-like dominance, and for a fraction of the price.

As for Pettitte, I said I could take him or leave him. I suspect he is coming back - he is good for pitching a lot of innings, a quality that's somewhat undervalued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or both guys could turn out to be duds (we dont know how Joba will handle being a starter) wheres Santana has proven himself under pressure and is in his prime. And money shouldnt even be an argument here, the market for starting pitchers is way overinflated, so when it comes time to resign them even if they dont live up to expectiations you will likely be overpaying them.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their lineup is good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many more years are Damon, Abreu, Giambi, Matsui, Posada going to be effective? Jeter?

The only good young hitter is Cano.

I'd caution against thinking this lineup will produce the way it did this year for many more years.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Let A-Rod walk. Yes, he is arguably the best hitter in the MLB, but they don't need him. Their lineup is good enough. Sign a mediocre third baseman, or play Betemit everyday. Use the extra money to overpay for premier starting pitching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like who? Its fine to say we should spend Arod's cash on pitching. Where do we spend it?
Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? (Assuming Santana is signed long-term.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a stupid move. Both guys could turn out to have Santana-like dominance, and for a fraction of the price.

As for Pettitte, I said I could take him or leave him. I suspect he is coming back - he is good for pitching a lot of innings, a quality that's somewhat undervalued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or both guys could turn out to be duds (we dont know how Joba will handle being a starter) wheres Santana has proven himself under pressure and is in his prime. And money shouldnt even be an argument here, the market for starting pitchers is way overinflated, so when it comes time to resign them even if they dont live up to expectiations you will likely be overpaying them.

[/ QUOTE ]

my head just exploded. how can you be overpaying them if that's the price set by the market? not everyone can be overpaying every pitcher past the age of 26 - that's a contradiction in terms.

as for letting a-rod walk - uh this lineup doesn't look all that good like this:

damon
jeter
abreu
matsui
posada
cano
betemit
1B (invariably some [censored]-hitting 1B)
cabrera

there's not that much power in that lineup. lot of guys who can hit 20 home runs but not many who can hit 30.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:50 PM

the Yankees had 76 more real runs and 50 more imaginary equivalent runs than anyone else in the majors, they will be an elite offense with a decent 3b.

Arod money would be much better spent on Johan.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:51 PM

plus its like ALL lefties
Old 10-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Youre overpaying them because this years #3 pitchers are getting last years #1 pitcher money. There fore if you sign Johan to an extension next year youll be paying him the same amount that you would pay hughes in 2 years even if he is a #3 pitcher. Now I understand theres an age difference but thats why im saying money shouldnt be an issue when it comes to the decision of trading hughes for Johan.