Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
APXG:

whose gimmick account are you? You can be honest - the secret's out now.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i only post opinions that are controversial / provide an alternative perspective. imo when everyone agrees with you, its a waste of time.

also, explain how / why posada being handicapped when catching pitches is not a huge problem. one could easily argue that if molina / anyone else is behind the plate, yankees win game 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

One can easily argue if I'd folded that set on the turn when my opponent shoved all in, I wouldn't've lost when the flush card came that gave my opponent the winner. Oh - this is being results-oriented by the way. You don't even know if Molina catches those balls that Posada missed.

[ QUOTE ]
on the flip side, i can't even envision a scenario where replacing posada's bat in the lineup with molina's would cost an entire game. over the whole postseason through the WS, the posada-molina batting edge probably would add up to less than 1 "game".

[/ QUOTE ]

Jose Molina is a lifetime .243/.279/.345 hitter. That is terrible. Playing every day would make him one of the worst players in the league. Those are TERRIBLE numbers. If you can't see the value in having a .277/.381/.479 bat in your lineup instead of Jose [censored] Molina, you don't know very much about baseball. Molina would probably cost the Yankees 1 run every 3 games in offense vs. Posada.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One can easily argue if I'd folded that set on the turn when my opponent shoved all in, I wouldn't've lost when the flush card came that gave my opponent the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the flush card come on the Turn or River?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:52 PM

My point was that Posada is the absolute worst "catcher of pitches" I have seen, ever.

I also think people are greatly undervaluing the importance of catching pitches as part of a catcher's value.

And I also think its incorrect to be obsessed with how well the most imporant defensive position contributes offensively, especially if you have a lineup filled with offensive superstars.

Given his stats, I agree Yanks would want to find better option than Molina. But the search should start with defense, which immediately disqualifies Posada.

Is it clear / am I still crazy?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 10:58 PM

Catchers do not influence the game defensively anywhere near as much as you think they do.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One can easily argue if I'd folded that set on the turn when my opponent shoved all in, I wouldn't've lost when the flush card came that gave my opponent the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

river obv
Old 10-11-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

river obv

[/ QUOTE ]

The donk shoved all-in on a draw?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:16 AM

APXG:

You've always been clear. I don't think catcher is the most important defensive position - not even close. Is Victor Martinez a good defensive catcher?

Toro: yes, he shoved all in on a draw. we called, and lost on the river. could've been avoided if we'd just folded the turn!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 AM

"We" called? Poker is not a team sport you know.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My point was that Posada is the absolute worst "catcher of pitches" I have seen, ever.

I also think people are greatly undervaluing the importance of catching pitches as part of a catcher's value.

[/ QUOTE ]

On what do you base your opinion that Posada is the worst -- I'm sorry, the absolute worst -- "catcher of pitches"?

Although I am not really clear on what "catcher of pitches" means, I would submit that any measurable negative effect of his defense (which is far from league best but also not league worst) is more than offset by his bat.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 AM

I hear a lot of Red Sox fans complain about Varitek. With Varitek it's the opposite complaint that you have about Posada. The complaining Sox fans want more offense from him.

I think what people don't realize is that there really aren't a lot of great catchers out there to be had. So as a Sox fan I'm totally satisfied with Varitek simply because there really aren't many better alternatives out there. He gives us good defense and is not horrible offensively.

And I would say, it would be the same for the Yankees, who really is out there that could give them more than what they are getting?