Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Chinese official given death penalty for corruption

[ QUOTE ]
Mrs By-Tor: Is it normal for a death penalty to be changed to life in prison or whatever after an appeal, or is he pretty much done for?

[/ QUOTE ]

"appeal? ohhh no, he has no chance for this"

IMO, it is all about perception...in these cases especially.

For instance, a few weeks back when we (US) complained to the WTO about IP, the government "went on a crack down", which basically means that people had to move their inventories to the "hidden" back room in the wholesale markets, but places like the DVD store down the street from the hotel we stayed at last visit did nothing.

I am 99% positive that not only is that store still there, but also that the DVD's are being pushed on the streets just as they were prior to the complaint.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 2005 the United States executed 60 people. Per capita, China's execution rate is about 90x higher than the US's.

[/ QUOTE ]

1770 execution per 1.319 billion population versus 60 executions per 302 million population. This seems to me to be about 6.75x higher than the US' rate per capita. What am I missing?
Old 06-01-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mrs By-Tor: Is it normal for a death penalty to be changed to life in prison or whatever after an appeal, or is he pretty much done for?

[/ QUOTE ]

"appeal? ohhh no, he has no chance for this"

IMO, it is all about perception...in these cases especially.

For instance, a few weeks back when we (US) complained to the WTO about IP, the government "went on a crack down", which basically means that people had to move their inventories to the "hidden" back room in the wholesale markets, but places like the DVD store down the street from the hotel we stayed at last visit did nothing.

I am 99% positive that not only is that store still there, but also that the DVD's are being pushed on the streets just as they were prior to the complaint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha yeh the "crack-downs" happen once every few months atleast I can remember 4 big crack downs of DVD sales in my 2years there plus another one on clothing and bag fake merchandise where the huge markets were closed down for a few weeks but ofcourse they reopened again with all the same stuff still available.

The only crackdown which seemed to work was their was a huge music market which had been operating for a few years in the same place and it got closed down for over a year and we couldn't find it again, it may have just moved though....
Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 AM

On a related note about corruption. My first year roommate in my dorm was Chinese. He had been in the country for 4-5 years at that point. Before he came to the US his parents had left a year or two earlier and he stayed behind living with his aunt.

When it was time for him to come join his parents he was 17 or so. They decided it would be easier for him to take up residency in the US if he was under 16, because he wouldn't have to jump through the same hoops as someone older, children can come along easier I guess? Anyway they bribed some member of the government and they provided him with a new set of identification claiming he was 2 years younger than he was. They also falsified all the documentation required for him to leave China to join his parents. To this day his drivers license, etc all have his age 2 years less than what it actually is.