Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 02:44 AM

Default how long before PS UB and FT drop?

unfortunately, all the "chicken littles" were apparently right. firepay, neteller, party, mansion, paradise, now doyles room, etc etc are all off limits to the u.s. some neteller funds are being seized by the doj, and even some particular banks are not wanting to honor checks from certain sites/companies. virtually everything that can go wrong, has.

i have to assume that all of these companies shut out u.s. players because they felt they were (at least very soon were going to be) forced to. how long before stars, fulltilt, and ultimatebet (and the few other little guys that are left) just give up?

this latest fiasco with doyles room illustrates that a site (or a representative) can tell you theyll definitely be open for the foreseeable future, and then literally hours later slam the door. im thinking ps, ft and ub happen to just be the smartest/greediest/boldest and are trying to make every last dime possible during their last few months in the u.s. market. there have been a lot of people predicting the slow but eventual falls of all these rooms/companies, and we all sat here and shot them down repeatedly. but every day the people who were accused of "overhyping" the ban are being proven right. gaboonviper is starting to look like a genius with all of this.

the bill was signed on october 13th, so the 270 day enforcement rule marks july as the big showdown date. i wouldnt be surprised to see the last few remaining companies stick it out til may or june and suddenly just pull the plug on the u.s. im guessing stars will be the last major site left and drops in may.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: how long before PS UB and FT drop?

I think Stars will be next. The rest won't be able to survive without Americans, Stars can. I would guess within 6 months.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

gaboonviper is starting to look like a genius with all of this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-20-2007, 03:20 AM

You gotta remember, back in October when the fallout started, each site stated their intentions shortly thereafter. FT, UB, STARS, ABSOLUTE, said they were staying for good.

The others, including Doyle's Room said they would be leaving. I know they hoped to be able to service the US, but why bother? Without Tribeca, they are nothing and I fully expect Doyle's Room to be gobbled up into an IPOKER brand.

Let's not all panic just yet, the sky is not falling. The sites that said they are staying are still here. Let's not go down without a fight.

Mega
Old 02-20-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's not all panic just yet, the sky is not falling. The sites that said they are staying are still here. Let's not go down without a fight.

Mega

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously man, if youre not "panicing" now, then what would it take? im so incredibly sick of this "the sky is falling" dig at everyone to make them sound like unreasonable fanatics. the sky clearly is falling, its just a matter of how much.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:50 AM

If I recall, when the sites all pulled out, as well as firepay, Neteller said they were staying....

Neteller also told PokerStars that if they ever abandoned the market, they would give them 90 days notice, they gave them 1 day notice (or less).

Point is, it is in no site's benefit to give a long notice or intention to withdraw. I assume if the big 4 exit the U.S. market, we will not have more then a few days notice.

The sites will do what is best for their owners, not the players. Same as Neteller did.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:03 AM

Neteller never said they were staying for good. Also, the DOJ seized 55 million of Neteller customer's money in transit; they didn't choose to leave, nor did they have the ability to give 90 days notice.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 AM

What's the point in speculating? Also note that the sites you mention have taken a contrary legal interpretation than the DoJ likely takes of the IUGEA, or they don't care. It doesn't matter which, and nothing has changed to alter that. If they were willing to take the risk immediately after passage they still are now. The only thing that will give them a big incentive to leave the US market is the new regs coming out and being a lot more effective than they think or seems likely, which might make the attendant legal risk not worth the reward.

Again you can speculate and make all the predictions you want like lawmangaboontroll has been doing, or you can just wait until the fall and see how it stands. However if you both depend on poker income for your living and also don't have any savings, then you might want to start looking for a j-o-b now and avoid the rush later as a backup plan.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 AM

Edited by me
Old 02-20-2007, 04:49 AM

HUD---you sound like a hater!