Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 11:52 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: 75/150 vs HOWMANY not telling you anybody\'s hands

That's the problem with tanking on the river than taking an aggressive action. You open yourself up to all sorts of [censored] from all types of opponents.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:30 PM

About 2 weeks ago I asked someone who thinks the majority of people who post on this forum are absolutely terrible poker players. When I asked him for examples of people that are decent and worth meeting at some point to learn from he answered HOWMANY and DD, amongst a couple other people.

When I asked why them two, he told me that he had never met them but that just by reading their posts he knew they were good players because of the way they think. After reading this thread, I'm like, WTF. THIS IS THE CRAP I HAVE TO GO THROUGH TO BECOME A POKER GOD?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:33 PM

I'm glad someone thinks I'm good because I'm really starting to wonder if I just ran better than everyone on the planet over hundreds of thousands of hands online and hundreds of hours live in like 10 different games.

DD is a way better player than I am and I wish that I could listen to the advice someone else gave me to never play with him in a game. Unfortunately this is not possible since we both live in the same area and the dollars are ready for the plucking.

Damon yes this was at Ocean's

Bob any hand I bet for value on the river after thinking so long I am instacalling a c/r for the same reason that I 3bet him with T9.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 PM

Which is why it's important, if you're the kind of player who sometimes has to tank, to tank fairly often when you don't have to. They'll berate you for Hollywooding, but f*ck 'em.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad someone thinks I'm good because I'm really starting to wonder if I just ran better than everyone on the planet over hundreds of thousands of hands online and hundreds of hours live in like 10 different games.

DD is a way better player than I am and I wish that I could listen to the advice someone else gave me to never play with him in a game. Unfortunately this is not possible since we both live in the same area and the dollars are ready for the plucking.

Bob any hand I bet for value on the river after thinking so long I am instacalling a c/r for the same reason that I 3bet him with T9.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i think that we do not need to win every pot. think about how much more fun this hand would have been had you checked preflop, called/checked the flop behind and folded the turn.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 PM

I'm always going to be raising a powerhouse like T9 if the SB completes. A) I think I'm ahead B) I'd much rather my opponent take an aggressive approach (including folding for the 1/2bet sometimes) as I feel that is more exploitable by my playing style.

But I agree with your general approach of taking a more passive stance in these situations. My SB/BB variance used to determine my session results, and that's just silly. This is a good example of how that can happen. Of course both these players play higher than I currently, so, you know, take that with a grain of salt.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm always going to be raising a powerhouse like T9 if the SB completes.

[/ QUOTE ]

agaisnt DD i think this is a mistake. why make the pot big against an unpredictable lag who never believes you and you never believe him? guys like DD cause you to make mistakes, and if i make a mistake i want it to be in a small pot.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:42 PM

The reason I'm fairly comfortable in ridiculous hands and situations like this one is because of the sheer number of hands I've played in home games, low limit goof-around games, and even ill-advised mid to high limit goof around games with great limit holdem players. Playing shorthanded with those guys, where everyone is trying to be tricky, win every pot, out-aggressive-ize the others, and all show our hands and discuss them afterwards.

I can't really think of a better way to understand the mindset of your tougher opponents and figure out creative and sometimes ridiculous ways to exploit it.

Thanks for the kind words,
DeathDonkey
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i think that we do not need to win every pot. think about how much more fun this hand would have been had you checked preflop, called/checked the flop behind and folded the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love it if I could do this, unfortunately I don't really want to go out like broomcorn's poor uncle.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love it if I could do this, unfortunately I don't really want to go out like broomcorn's poor uncle.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand that you're gonna have to cross paths with DD, but imo if you find yourself having to play lots of hands vs. him (or guys like him), you need to find better games. they are out there.