Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Future of sng\'s online?

[ QUOTE ]
There are probably less than 10 ppl consistently making $5k/month at SNGs right now. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than 10??? This can't be right. I'm gonna come close to that number and I'm only 8 tabling the 60s.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 PM

slimon, I'm not painting a rosy picture. But few of the high-stakes guys, even the ones in cash now would argue. Why do you think they went to cash? Seriously get Gramps or bigjoe or some of those guys to chime in. See what they say. We've had these discussions in the past several times. Most of the people involved in them are playing cash now.

Mattey, 10 might be a little low. Maybe 20-ish. Also let me know when you've averaged $5k over 12 months. I averaged about that for 6 months, then about $2k for 3 months, then lost $10k. When you play that much, the regs tend to start calling you a lot. Splitting between buyins or sites helps diminish this effect.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:55 PM

But if the fish do come back in mass, wont they also make the cash games juicier?
To the OP, I would focus on cash games but I do think that SNG roi's would increase a fair amount if the US market opens up again.
Im still playing SNG's because I started playing them sometime ago and I dont think I have mastered them yet. Having a full time job and a wife and kid at home limit the hours you can play/study.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that in the future with out the uigea, and safe easy way to deposit, you will be able to 16 table the 60s for 15-20%, and i wouldnt be surprised if you would see ppl beating the 27s for 30%..

this is all just my opinion of course

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just crazy thinking. at best expect a slight bump in the numbers posted in the FAQ, and don't expect to maintain them 16-tabling
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 PM

If in 12 months I'm still grinding sngs b/c its the most profitable game for me, I may as well quit poker forever.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 PM

The best route is to play the version of poker that best suits your personality. In the peak of sngs it was possible to make 100k per month in sngs on party. 10k a month was relatively ez for the better sng players on party, 2-5k was attainable by the top 30% or so (just my est. based on # played and stakes). The same is possible if the landscape changes.

The majority of the people from this forum who made 10-100k a month mostly moved to NL cash (mostly 6 max or hu). Its pretty easy to gauge the graphs in the monthly results threads to see who is making more $ on a consistent basis the past 6 months or more.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 AM

There is no chance of sustaining that kind of return in sngs/mtts on a $2500 roll on a parttime schedule.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slimon, I'm not painting a rosy picture. But few of the high-stakes guys, even the ones in cash now would argue. Why do you think they went to cash? Seriously get Gramps or bigjoe or some of those guys to chime in. See what they say. We've had these discussions in the past several times. Most of the people involved in them are playing cash now.

Mattey, 10 might be a little low. Maybe 20-ish. Also let me know when you've averaged $5k over 12 months. I averaged about that for 6 months, then about $2k for 3 months, then lost $10k. When you play that much, the regs tend to start calling you a lot. Splitting between buyins or sites helps diminish this effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

SNG "pros" are extremely lazy these days. If they played as much as they should, they'd be fine. Having said that, if you're good and have a roll, cash is the place to be right now.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 AM

It is just too easy to learn how to play SNG's online and someone who studies them seriously for a few months is usually going to be like 90% as good as the best SNG player ever. Also they are very easy to 16+ table and still play about as well as you would playing one or two. So the games are really bad once you get past like $20 buyins or so. Finally it is often hard to get higher stakes games going on sites that don't have a lot of regs b/c fish don't like to wait to start a SNG. In fact unless you find great games somewhere on some euro site the maximum EV/sng attainable at any stakes is probably only like 3 times higher than that of the 20-27's and the variance/roll req of playing at those stakes is easily 10 or even 20 times higher.
Still I think they are probably better than cash EV wise if you have a medium sized roll of like 2 to 10k. But I would work on your cash/MTT game or even something like limit at the same time.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are probably less than 10 ppl consistently making $5k/month at SNGs right now. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your saying this like its impossible. Have a 15% roi at the 27s, play ten at a time and 30 hours and week and earn 5k a month..