Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: PETA documentary last night

[ QUOTE ]
There is this great show called Penn & Tellers Bull S***.

They did a show on PETA its only 30 minutes long and kept me interested the whole way through. Ummmm I could talk about it more, but just trust me that if youre interested in the PETA subject give this a watch.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1308684e...765&rank=0

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perfect. This is exactly why I hate PETA!!!! It is also one of the reasons I love Ted Nugent! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyone doubting that PETA is filled with Lunatic Terrorists, watch this video.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:35 PM

I love Ted Nugent, but I understand he's pretty bad at hunting.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) I save my dog over a stranger. I believe. My point was that I can't know for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to look up old threads on SMP that perhaps covers this when I get the chance (which may be never).

Anyway, despite being impressed with the recent works of Harris/Hitchens/Dawkins and even your Dad I think a person with a strong religious background would understand that saving the human takes priority. I'm genuinely curious what Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens (who are both very obviously moral atheists) or some others would say (I think they woule agree).

[ QUOTE ]
But I do care more about my dog than a human I don't know. And my cats too.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I and so would the vast majority of moral people (or immoral people for that matter), religious or not. But my question wasn't about "caring"; it was about being specifically in the position to save an unknown person right in front of you OR your pet when you can't do both and nobody else is around to do it.

That's different and IMO raises a significant moral point.

[ QUOTE ]
B) I will say penis whenever I want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too but I'm prudish enough to avoid saying it on a regular basis. Maybe it was more than saying the "P" word that got Abdul into trouble; my memory fades.

I do think my original question belongs here in a PETA thread since it gets to the heart of the matter; whether a human life is more important than a lower animal (that is your loved pet) in the case where you have to chose one over the other.

~ Rick
Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 PM

I'd like to think I would save the human. But who knows?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 PM

"boiled pizzas."

is the most disgusting thing I have ever read on the internet. The thought still sickens me.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But my question wasn't about "caring"; it was about being specifically in the position to save an unknown person right in front of you OR your pet when you can't do both and nobody else is around to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I answered clearly. I believe that I would make a conscious choice to save my dog. I do not believe that there is a universal morality which makes the life of a human being I don't know more valuable than the life of my dog.

However, if I was forced to make the choice between saving a strange human or a strange dog, I would save the human. Not because I value the life of the human more, but because I think a human values it's own life more than a dog values his own life. So in this case, empathy dictates my decision.

I wasn't around for the Abdul wars, but I have been told it was his abusive nature, not his vocabulary, which got him banned.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 PM

It is silly to pose the question where the choice involves a random human and your own pet. Every day, almost every pet owner, basically makes that choice-in favor of the pet, since he knows he could sell it to a laboratory and use the money to save a third world country starving child.

Of course if the scenario was such that he had to look the human in the eye, many pet owners might reluctantly save that human. But it wouldn't be because they thought it was the moral choice. It would be simply out of selfishness. They would be afraid that choosing the animal might haunt them down the road.

Here is a better question. If you could save either Koko or an elderly, moderately retarded, institutionalized individual, who would you choose?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"boiled pizzas."

is the most disgusting thing I have ever read on the internet. The thought still sickens me.

[/ QUOTE ]

For God sake don't watch Bill Hicks. I nicked that line from him, and that was pretty mild compared to the rest of the act.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 PM

I would save the stranger and wouldn't even think twice of it.
Can't see how anyone would choose the other option unless they were incredibly selfish.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:44 PM

So, what did you think of the movie?