Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: PSA: One line answers

Wow.

(JK obv.)

Good point ama, we're here to learn, not get a decision in a vacuum with no reasoning.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Fwiw I'm happier with a one-word answer from a respected poster so I know it's probably right, than I am with a 300 word reply written by a noob (like myself).

Of course not all threads can be answered in a single-word reply, but when a good poster does reply with one word this is usually not the case.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM

wtf...so "r4r!" is no longer an appropriate response? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I think the more explanation that can be provided the better. I do not know that it should come to banning someone, but then again I would really be surprised if it ever did come to that (surely a "Hey dude, please explain your answers" would be enough to prod us all along). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 PM

I like it. I was discussing this problem with Nogatsira in class today. Good job [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe IF people want a one-word reply they should add a poll [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a. The results dont matter, dont post them
b. Ama is right
c. Very few have a sample size that makes BB/100 relevant, and on top of that, when we start talking about win rates dick swinging ensues
d. I usually will only post a one word answer if it has already been explained or if I feel it has value (i.e. I can give you a fish, or teach you to fish)

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) I agree that brief answers are appropriate if its already been explained... in which case, its merely reinforcing that others agree with the logic. Though perhaps in those cases someone should quote the person who they're agreeing with...
(2) I am one of the many who WANT to know the results. I think its both interesting (like reading a murder mystery and then never learning who did it) and educational. One of the ways you learn how other players play is by watching. A fish might donk bet with one kind of hand and another wouldn't. Seeing how different types of players played different hands is helpful. When results are NOT what we expect, it reminds us to look at our opponents differently. "Oh... that kind of player WOULD push with this kind of hand on the turn. I should remember that although I wouldn't do that, clearly this type of player would. "
Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b. Ama is right
c. Very few have a sample size that makes BB/100 relevant, and on top of that, when we start talking about win rates dick swinging ensues
d. I usually will only post a one word answer if it has already been explained or if I feel it has value (i.e. I can give you a fish, or teach you to fish)

[/ QUOTE ]

the winner/loser doesn't matter, but IMO seeing both hands to get real experience from reading down lines is crucial

From what it sounds like to me, the "results don't matter" has become the answer for the tough situation that including the two hands involved would cause regarding the useless bland responses that would come from poster reading the result of the HH before posting.

My ? is....can you allow the results to be shown once a poster enters a response?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
b. Ama is right

[/ QUOTE ]

(1) I agree that brief answers are appropriate if its already been explained... in which case, its merely reinforcing that others agree with the logic. Though perhaps in those cases someone should quote the person who they're agreeing with...
(2) I am one of the many who WANT to know the results. I think its both interesting (like reading a murder mystery and then never learning who did it) and educational. One of the ways you learn how other players play is by watching. A fish might donk bet with one kind of hand and another wouldn't. Seeing how different types of players played different hands is helpful. When results are NOT what we expect, it reminds us to look at our opponents differently. "Oh... that kind of player WOULD push with this kind of hand on the turn. I should remember that although I wouldn't do that, clearly this type of player would. "

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, but you have to understand why they're doing it, to preserve 2p2
Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im going to start cracking down on one line answers. It is just not good enough to come into a thread and say something like "call" with no justification for why you think that is the best course of action. Obviously, sometimes the hand is very obvious (should I go all in with AA preflop??!! ololool) but most of the threads here require more anaylsis than that.

So in future if I catch you making some weak-sauce reply like "call>>>raise>>>>>fold " and you dont explain your reasoning I'll just delete your post. If you keep on doing it I'll just ban you for a couple of days so you can think about it. These forums exist so we can help one another with our games and one line posts do nothing but clutter threads and piss off moderators.

If you don't know the answer to the hand posted, then ask a question like "should we really be stacking off with AQ here when I think that a big part of his range is sets?" or alternatively, just read and learn.

THANKS

-ama

ps. call>>raise>>>>>fold obv

[/ QUOTE ]
Please tell me that you came up with this after reading my selfquote in your what? thread. Because that was the idea behind it :P
I like it, swing the banhammer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

p.s.: Perosnally I don't even want much of a "do this because of that" kind of answer. I'd like an answer along the lines of "these are the things that should go through your head and lead to the decision"
Thought process + explaination of whot one would do based on the thought process >Thought process > recommendation only
Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 PM

FWIW, I think Sightless gives the best hit-the-nail-on-the-head type of advice, and I don't think I've ever seen him write more than one line.

I guess I see the reasoning behind the rule though.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:55 PM

[censored] you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Closed Thread