Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: No Limit Format That Would Help Most Better Players

4-tier poker. On every street the minimum bet should to larger than the previous street. Preflop, flop and turn could be limit. Then the river could be pot limit.
Don't antes slow the game down? And there's a chance of an ugly incident like Lisandro with Friedman. Who knows who didn't antes. UTG forced to open blind would be better.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Some random thoughts on this.

When I first started playing holdem tournaments about 15 years ago I quickly learned how to survive. But I would run into problems when the tournament got to the ante stage for two reasons. The first was that the game plays different with all that extra dead money in the pot. The second was that I had little opportunity to get experience playing with an ante as the only time it happened was deep into a tournament. Back then, having an ante was probably in the best interest of the better players because the lesser players didn't adjust properly.

Now, with many getting a lot of experience at all levels of tournaments because of online play, and with the good tournament books now available, many know how to play well with the antes. Moreover, the extra dead money makes errors less costly, as you are getting better odds for your mistakes. So what was previously a benefit for the better players, no longer is.

There is another argument against antes--they slow the game down in live play. The dealer has to continually remind players to ante and arguments always arise over who did or didn't ante. Few things in a tournament are more annoying than the dealer not dealing because the antes aren't posted. Scooping them into the pot takes time too.

And yet another argument is that it requires keeping the smaller denomination chips in the game longer. As well as someone always needing to make change.

In fact, the last two paragraphs are more likely to motivate a card room to abandon antes in flop game tournaments than it benefiting the better players.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 PM

i hope they never change to pot limit. No limit is the greatest game ever and no one should change that. theres nothing like the rush i get from playing no limit espicially being able to manipulate my oppenets for small bets and raises and getting them all fustrated then stacking them when a do have a great hand. No antes is fine but please dont change to pot limit.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not advocating this change. I'm just putting it up here so that if the change is ever made, I might get credit for the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to say something a little less ordinary than this to actually get credit for the idea. This isn't exactly radical thinking.