Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Where have all the mid-limit limit hold\'em games gone?

I played online for almost 4 years. I was never in the same league with most of you guys as I stuck to 2/4 and 5/10 stud. I did play at 3 sites usually and while I didnt make a fortune, I averaged 300-500 a month consistantly. This was enough to cover my bike payment & ins and some nice xmas jewelry for the wife. I cashed out 2 days before the hammer fell and I am starting to miss the extra money I made. I have found myself goin to the boats more often and playing BJ and entering the hold em tournies they have. I rarely went to the boats before. It just seems like to much work to fund my poker accounts and then worry if I will be able to cash out. I did leave like 100 in each account and I go on once a week and play a 1.00 tourney just to keep activity in hopes people in power come to their senses, but in answer to your question, yes, alot of us U.S. players have basically stopped playing online in the mid range.
BTW, these forums are fantastic, and thank you to all the posters that keep me informed daily about the situation. And to those of you still playing, I'm jealous.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played online for almost 4 years. I was never in the same league with most of you guys as I stuck to 2/4 and 5/10 stud. I did play at 3 sites usually and while I didnt make a fortune, I averaged 300-500 a month consistantly. This was enough to cover my bike payment & ins and some nice xmas jewelry for the wife. I cashed out 2 days before the hammer fell and I am starting to miss the extra money I made. I have found myself goin to the boats more often and playing BJ and entering the hold em tournies they have. I rarely went to the boats before. It just seems like to much work to fund my poker accounts and then worry if I will be able to cash out. I did leave like 100 in each account and I go on once a week and play a 1.00 tourney just to keep activity in hopes people in power come to their senses, but in answer to your question, yes, alot of us U.S. players have basically stopped playing online in the mid range.
BTW, these forums are fantastic, and thank you to all the posters that keep me informed daily about the situation. And to those of you still playing, I'm jealous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too emptied my neteller account the day that the UIGEA passed. No way was I waiting the 270 days. I'm glad I acted when I did.

I went about 6 months without depositing anywhere, then one day I decided to try my credit/debit card to see if it would work. IT DID! I then did some research and found that traffic is actually UP since the UIGEA. (minus the initial drop of course) So I am merrily getting trampled at the uNL tables, but I am learning. You should buyin somewhere with rakeback, the games are great!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should buyin somewhere with rakeback, the games are great!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I keep saying, but everyone else tells me I'm full of it. I've had a couple really great weeks, though.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Besides, I suppose there aren't that many no-limit games with 5/10 blinds or higher, which plays about as high at the 20/40 limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever clicked on the "No Limit" tab, ever? ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. Two years ago I played mostly no-limit.

Just for giggles I checked out stars, tilt and UB. UB had a few tables of 5/10, stars had several and so did tilt. But all three put together didn't equal what Party had in 20/40 or 30/60 on a good night.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Online limit started dying even before UIGEA. When Party brought in 12-tabling 1 1/2 years ago, things got tougher- it's like the good players multiplied. Then they brought in resizable tables. Bots, nits, player aids made the game too difficult for the casual player.

Luckily NL got popular, but then UIGEA struck. Losing the casual American player has really put a damper on online poker.

If you're going to play poker, it's got to be NL. Limit is dying out in B&Ms too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how Party's policies effected their limit games, but the number of limit table increased drastically over the past few years, especially at the higher limits. True, no-limit increased even more, but limit wasn't dying. It's increased in B&Ms too, at least at the larger ones at the higher limits.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 AM

-Another midstakes minbet hold'em player who switched to no limit.

Went on a pretty gross downswing right after Neteller went away and took a decent chunk of my bankroll with them. I was forced to move down or do something else. Grinding small stakes minbet sucks so I decided to give NL a whirl. It's a game with a fraction of the variance and wayyyy more fish in the sea. Haven't looked back. Such a pity I spent my first year of poker learning limit.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:31 AM

OK, so what's the 2+2 book we limit suckers should read first? Does NLTAP apply to smaller stakes?

EDIT: Doesn't have to be 2+2, of course. Just 2+2 quality.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so what's the 2+2 book we limit suckers should read first? Does NLTAP apply to smaller stakes?

EDIT: Doesn't have to be 2+2, of course. Just 2+2 quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have NLTAP and it is over my head.

I think the best place to start is the NL forum stickies. Especially Pokey's posts.

One measure I just learned the hard way. WTSD should be ~20% (Which seems insanely low for limit players), while keeping the W$@SD > 50%. Mine is currently WTSD 26% and W$@SD 40% and I am bleeding like a stuck pig.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 AM

bleeding like a what????!?!?!?!?!!!????!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bleeding like a what????!?!?!?!?!!!????!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally let the cat go, eh. That makes me sad. RIP.