Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 AM

Default New here. Questions.

Hey guys, hopefully I'm in the right area to get help. First time here.

game, Limit 3/6

get dealt late, AKs. I raise, 3 others call. flop is a rainbow 3Q5.

I bet, two fold, one behind me, and one early. One lady calls, in the early.

turn is another rag, I suppose, an, 8. I bet, she calls. it's just the two of us now. the river is a 7. she checks,I check, figuring she has to have something if she's called this far.

she hit a pair of 7's on the RIVER...her hand was JUNK. it was like 2,7 or something, it was a crappy hand, a hand that the book recommends folding or something.

my Question is, if I raise AKs, but totally miss the flop, and turn. what should I have done. the game was passive loose. mixture of old folks and middle age ppl. some ppl didn't even bet their sets. they chased back door flushes that got made.

after my flop, and then bet, should I have checked all the way if I didn't hit anything? I'm sorry if this may have been covered already.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: New here. Questions.

In low limit 3-6 games as you know players have a tendancy to call you down with almost everything because at that limit and with the people you have described, they are playing for entertainment. Now to answer your question, betting on the flop after missing with AK depends alot on how many people are seeing the flop. Doing a continuation bet with AK when three or four people are seeing the flop in those games isn't correct. As you were correct to raise it preflop, i would only do a contiuation bet when missing if i was either heads up or the flop was maybe low and paired. Dont overrate your hole cards in those games, you'll need big hands to win those pots.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Also in those games you should never bet to represent or to try to steal the pot as you've learned in those games this is a rareity. To win those games you must bet when you want to be called. Of course this can be debated.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:22 PM

Yes, wrong place for this post, should have used small stakes limit holdem fourm.

You played the hand okay and got unlucky.

I don't have a problem with you betting the flop. One of the reasons to do so is to get some players to fold, hopefully all of them. The queen on board is somewhat of a scare card, and betting might get a small pair to fold. Even if not, it will chase out most non-pair hands that don't have a draw, increasing the chances your AK will win unimproved. As it turned out, you chased two of the three hands out, a good result.

On the turn you got a good card. Not as good as an ace or king, but good because it didn't figure to improve a drawing hand, except perhaps to make it a better draw (such as 6,7). If your opponent already had a pair, then you are behind anyway. Betting here is probably best, unless your opponent is the type who likes to bluff. Then I would check here and call a river bet no matter what comes, as checking invites the river bluff, which you can beat. Also, if your opponent likes to bluff check-raise, or check-raise with a draw, checking on the turn is best. Otherwise bet the turn and fold to a raise.

On the river you should check behind if you bet the turn and your opponent checks the river, unless you catch an ace or king. Your opponent doesn't figure to be calling here with less than a pair. Someone might call in a tougher game with an ace-high, but probably not enough in your game to make it worth betting for value. If you are called you are beat, so don't bet.

If you checked the turn, then you have to call a river bet, unless the card is coordinated with those already on the board, suggesting your opponent already had a pair, or just got there (with a pair or draw). Your check on the turn invited a bluff, so you should call if you think there is a 20% chance or better that your opponent is bluffing with a busted draw or a weaker ace (or whatever), becasue you're getting 4:1 pot odds. And of course this is the case if your opponent likes to bluff.

You played the hand correctly in my view, perhaps not completely understanding why yet. You couldn't have played it better even if you saw your opponents cards, so you were lucky too. You got the money in there with the best hand, and no more went in when you were beat. What more could you ask for? You just got unlucky on the river.