Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 AM

Default middle pair top kicker vs LAG

Old hand from 1/2 foxwoods (live) game. Villain is a thinking LAG, but I have not picked him off yet.

Stacks around $220, villain has about $800

EP player limps, Villain limps in MP and another player limps in HJ, I raise ATo on the button to $12. BB calls, Villain calls, HJ calls.

Pot $60, 5 players
Flop is K T 2 with two diamonds. I have no diamond.

BB checks, EP bets, villain bets $40, HJ folds, Hero...?

I realize I am probably ahead but if I call I suck at playing the turn in this situation. What is the default play?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 AM

Default Re: middle pair top kicker vs LAG

What makes you think you are probably ahead? I think I'd dump it. If you continue here you'll have put nearly 25% of your stack in on 2nd pair and still have 2 streets of betting before you can showdown.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think you are probably ahead? I think I'd dump it. If you continue here you'll have put nearly 25% of your stack in on 2nd pair and still have 2 streets of betting before you can showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

His range is wide: any pair, QJ, flush draw, plus some total air. He is more likely to have raised preflop with good K's...
but I do agree with the rest of your post, it seems like a slightly ahead/way behind situation so I folded.
The SPR is 3.7 so I was wondering if it could be right to "commmit" in this situation. Certainly I would do so with top pair against this guy. MPTK is the next notch down...
Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM

I'm more worried about EP betting out.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm more worried about EP betting out.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh that is an err orrrrr

should be EP checks, since villain "bets $40" is the first money put in on the flop.

Anyway I folded and then later considered the possibility of an all-in / or calling and putting in more money on the turn if we went headsup -- in case one of the other players was hiding in the weeds.
If I go AI I honestly think he would have a hard time calling $180 more with anything less than AK, which I am pretty sure he does not have. Also, this bet protects my hand against the flush draw and QJ.

Everyone else folded too and he took the $60 pot. Later I called down some of his small bets in smaller pots with middle pair and weak top pair (and won), but this hand stayed in my mind.