Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Got my finger on the trigger

Same 1/2 nl foxwoods game
Hero has 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the cutoff

The preflop raiser seems to respect big bets when strength is shown on the flop. I haven't seen anyone pop the turn against him (or anywhere) so I am not sure how he would react.

1 limper, villain raises to $13 with ~$275 behind
1 coldcaller, I call (?), one of the blinds calls as does the limper.

Flop (5 players, $66)
Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Check, check, PFR bets $15, fold, hero calls (?), 2 folds
I'm thinking that his small bet is super weak so if he checks the turn I'll pounce. Especially if I improve my backdoor draws or hit a pair.

Turn (2 players, $96)
7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain bets $25, hero ponders and calls
Now I have what seems to be a +EV call, but I wonder if raising is better. But just what am I representing? And I cannot for the life of me decode this series of small bets.

River ($146)
Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain bets $25, hero folds

Played like a fish.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Got my finger on the trigger

If you're calling the flop, the only reason is to floatbluff the turn, so once that happens you kinda gotta go through with it. Now that you have a monster draw, it's even better because if you get called you'll win ~30% of the time. (Think Kanter vs. Raymer in the 2005 WSOP ME, only your draw is better and Villain probably doesn't have KK.)

In reality, the flop call was bad because you have a burgeoning pot, which means any bluff out of you, semi- or not, will cost you a large chunk of (if not all of) your stack if it fails. And with two players behind you, you have no idea what will happen. If someone check/raises you've just pissed away $15. If one or both just call, you're now faced with the prospect of floating multiple opponents.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Call Preflop nice hand good position.

Fold flop, as mentioned with 2 people left to act behind you could get squeezed easily.

Raise turn, this is why you called the flop. The pot is about 100 dollars and he bets only 25? Push him off it now. I bet a raise to 75 will make him fold, 100 is ok too. Villain is either slowplaying a monster, whiffed overs or diamonds. Most of the time your raise wins it right there. It sucks when he has QQ and pushes but that is rare.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise turn, this is why you called the flop. The pot is about 100 dollars and he bets only 25? Push him off it now. I bet a raise to 75 will make him fold, 100 is ok too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making it $100 or $125 was what I was thinking of doing. But I couldn't put a credible story together -- i.e. if he thought about it, what would he put me on? 85? Also, what is his range?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:56 PM

Most players are not smart enough to put you on anything. He sees a big raise and says oh well my AK or AJ JJ or 1010 lost. Then he folds. You can probably make QJ and KQ fold too.

You can tell this villain has no idea what he is doing because he bet 15 dollars into a 60 dollar pot. Punish him.