Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Adolf Hitler.

Almost everything considering his life that I've ever read I would consider extra-ordinary or really strange. You've described his sex-life and other habits as really odd. Maybe people don't write about this as much but what struck you about some of his life that seems very normal to either a common man in that time period or today?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shadowrun:

you can have your own 'ask me about being a nit' thread. leave this subject to ac slater, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever, my main point was that if someone really thinks they can learn about the human condition from reading a bunch of books/movies about hitler, then they are really missing out.

You guys win last post in this thread. BTW for clarification i have no problems with AC thinking hitler is great or whatever, rather my only contention is that a person thinks he knows all about the human condition from one man (that is only represents one extreme)

[/ QUOTE ]

I never ever said I only study Hitler as a means to understand the overall human condition. The important thing is that people try to understand it a little better, bit by bit, always learning. I really like Carlos Castaneda's works. They may be fiction (no one really knows), but he really has his finger on the pulse.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His Grandfather on his father's side was Jewish. So that means Hitler was a 1/4 Jewish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really sure thats true, as far as I know It is not known if he had jewish blood or not

[/ QUOTE ]

no one else finds it curious that OP claimed that Hitler was 1/4th jew?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had heard this several times before, but never definitively. A quick Google search would apparently show that it's at best conjecture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Alois Hitler was the product of an illegitmate relationship between a maid and the Jewish owner of the manor. Who else would the maid be boinking? This is why one has a maid. Of course the Manor owner would deny such a thing if questioned. Who would want to lose 1/2 of their money? It does come down to conjecture though. But think about how much Hitler must have hated his father with all the beatings. Could he have projected his hatred of this half-Jew that beat him on the Jews later on in life?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read his hatred for Jews flourished when his mother died, and he blamed her death on her Jewish doctor. I have read two accounts from this, one was just his illogical thinking that the doctor should have saved his mother and another one was the doctor refused an experimental treatment that Hitler believed would save his mother.

Have you read anything along those lines and can elaborate? This very well might be total bull but when I read books, it's usually ones that are highly regarded.

BTW, if anyone's looking for a good technical book on WWII, A World at Arms is a great read, and this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of reading books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in Life and Death of, it is stated that Hitler showed overwhelming gratitude towards the doctor and realized that he had done all he could.

When interviewed later in life the doctor said he had never seen a boy so devastated by the loss of his mother.

He may have grown to resent and blame him later on, but at the time of death Hitler nearly worshipped this doctor.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitler played chess.

How good was he?

I heard he wasn't that good, and thus I dont think he was great at military strategy.

Was he ashamed that he wasnt as good at chess as others?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember reading anything about him playing chess. I haven't read everything on Hitler, I just figured there's a good chance I know more about him than anyone else in 2p2.

There shouldn't be a large correalation between chess and military aptitude. Both require many years of independent study to become expert. I do know that Napoleon played chess and was quite good considering the time he had to put into it.

A B level tournament player probably could have crushed him though as he often brought his queen out way to early. And I heard he moved his King around too much. Big no no's in chess.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Ian Kershaw's biography of Hitler your fav Hitler book or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never read that one. I own 4 books, two are biographies. One is a dossier on Hitler that was prepared by the Soviets, that obv will have some bias. And the other is Albert Speer's bio, but he had more access to viewing Hitler in private that any biographer ever could.

I have read two more biographies at the library. I remember the one by Alan Bullock being really good. It's possible I've read some Kershaw at library. There are so many [censored] books about Hitler. Next time you're in a book store just look for yourself. I couldn't possibly get to them all.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never read that one. I own 4 books, two are biographies. One is a dossier on Hitler that was prepared by the Soviets, that obv will have some bias. And the other is Albert Speer's bio, but he had more access to viewing Hitler in private that any biographer ever could.

I have read two more biographies at the library. I remember the one by Alan Bullock being really good. It's possible I've read some Kershaw at library. There are so many [censored] books about Hitler. Next time you're in a book store just look for yourself. I couldn't possibly get to them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I'm kind of disappointed. I expected you to have like an entire wing of your house devoted to Hitler literature
Old 09-01-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like Carlos Castaneda's works. They may be fiction (no one really knows)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, we do, and yes, they are.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:05 PM

"The OP has given very little connection between this kind of minutia and the much more important context of the man's political career, military success and failures, economic and national policies etc."

I will field those questions when asked about them. If I was just going to write out everything I know I might as well just write a book. And I have already answered a question regarding a military expedition when asked why he choose to open a 2nd front in Russia. And to go on long tangents about the War and it's atrocities when I'm trying to teach people about Hitler is like looking at the war in Iraq when trying to learn about Bush.

Sure you can take from it that he's a mothfucking son-of-abitch cocksukcing [censored], but other than that not much.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:06 PM

I learned some things here. Good thread and nice job AC.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really like Carlos Castaneda's works. They may be fiction (no one really knows)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, we do, and yes, they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know?