Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 03:02 AM

Default 25NL AK floats weak cbet. FPS?

Villain here is an aggrotard. I have seen him raise pf to 11-12bb in EP with hands as weak as Q6 and A9. Hes fairly new to the table so no line on his postflop play. On second thought I am thinking that I maybe should have 3 bet pf and shoved any flop against this villain given my stack? thoughts? I often 3 bet IP with AK pf, but decided to take a more passive line here.

On the flop, I felt that villain didnt like flop based on weak cbet. I decide to float (I RARELY float at this limit) with 2 overs and a gutshot and push if villain checks or makes another weak bet. His range here is wide including absolute air, FD, 66-TT, AJ, AT, etc. I think that it is less likely that he has very strong made hand.

The turn brings me nut FD as well. I decide to shove after villain checks. Thoughts?

Did I get too fancy with this hand. Would this situation warrant a more straightforward appraoch?

Bodog No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP2 ($43.70)
MP3 ($27.05)
Hero ($18.25)
Button ($27.22)
SB ($7.25)
BB ($11.49)
UTG ($46.02)
UTG+1 ($31.05)
MP1 ($23.90)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $2.6</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $2.60, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($5.80) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $1.6</font>, Hero calls $1.60.

Turn: ($9) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $14.05 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: $23.05
Old 09-28-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: 25NL AK floats weak cbet. FPS?

Obvious threebet preflop you earn his range, I mean if he C-bets big on the flop and you haven't hit what are you going to do if there is still a lot of your stack to go? Flop and turn are fine.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:46 AM

3bet preflop and call a shove. Players like this are usually willing to stack off preflop with trash, but will shut down if the flop misses them.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 AM

I don't understand, if villain's raising range is so wide here why are you not 3 betting this pre-flop? Why did you go so passive?

Turn is ok, but I don't know how often people fold to scare cards at those limits.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:42 AM

No one likes your preflop call and I don't really understand why. The SPR will be in a good shape if you call and you get some added deception. I don't think AK is an auto 3-bet.

I don't see a problem with calling this bet since it is pretty small and you may have as many as 7 outs with a little bit of implied odds and a good chance to steal the pot on the turn. At this pot you have only put in a little over 15% of your stack so if you plan is to steal on scary turn cards (like you did) then I think it is a good call.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:08 AM

I agree in some parts with threads as I think that AK is not an automatic three bet PF, especially against this type of villain. Yet, I don't like that turn push too much as I think stealing pots from those kind of players isn't the best way to make profit out of them. Sure, it worked here, but chances are just too big for my liking that he has made some weird two pair like Q7 or that he is going to call you down anyway with some crap like TPWK.
Against this type of villain, I often play more conservative and take free cards if given as I know they'll pay me off anyway if I hit good.
Too weak?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against this type of villain, I often play more conservative and take free cards if given as I know they'll pay me off anyway if I hit good.
Too weak?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont feel this is too weak. In fact, it is the reason I slowed down and playe passively here. I think how you handle this type of villian is dependent upon your tolerance for risk and variance. Obviously getting it all in pf here is more +EV, higher variance. A more passive route may be less +EV, lower variance. thoughts?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM

If villian is willing to pop it with that range then I'm assuming he isn't very good and don't see any reason to get too tricky with him so I like the more aggressive line you mentioned. At the same time, the passive line sets you up with a nice 2.7 SPR with which you can pretty much commit yourself to any decent flop. Either line is fine here but I'd prefer to get it all in pre-flop against a guy like this.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:34 PM

I agree that AK isn't an auto-3bet, but it should be your std action, especially against looser players.

I don't like the turn shove too much as weak pf leads from this type of player are often draws announcing themselves. That being said, you do have the Ac, so it's not too crazy.

keep in mind that I am a self-admitted nit, as has been pointed out previously. YMMV [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Which of these two options do you think will make us more money?

1) Getting the villain with a worse(dominated) hand preflop where we are at best a 70% favorite.

2) Stacking villain when we flop a better hand and then get it in.