Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Need to find good hyperaggressive books (and online players)

I am trying to learn how to become a good bully, a hyperaggressive player.

I know there's the Super System about nl-holdem (it's not all correct but for 4-6-handed it's somewhat good but more aggression and moves are needed), and then there's some book about limit holdem where one plays the little cards and sends the rocks to the bar but I think it's for full ring.

There are some books with some shorthanded material for example and I have those coming (Weighing the Odds in Hold’em Poker by King Yao, and Winning Texas Hold’em by Matt Maroon) and in the summer Winning High Stakes and Short Handed Hold 'em: Expert Limit Hold 'em for Serious Cash Game & Internet Players by Ray Zee and David Fromm may be of some value (though it's 2+2).

There are also some strong bullies online, e.g at Prima where one can get the hand histories too, while one can look some hands and playback them at FullTilt, while from UB I have plenty of hands but it wasn't that good a place to learn that style.

The reason I am trying to get out of the standard weak-tight play (tight-aggressive) is that it's not the winning way vs. other than weaker players while even bad to mediocre hyperaggressive players generally beat good 2+2 players.

The strategy should be something like: At nl-holdem one needs some mixture of good and weak hands (this is the main point) that one bets strong like when bluffing at river according to the game theory. While at limit holdem I am aware about the heads up (1-on-1) strategy where one makes it three bets on the flop with any hand that has some chance of getting the other to fold somewhere and one is seeing the turn anyway (the point is not to call but raise and reraise). Also one can just call a raise (semi-raise from the tight-aggressive) on the flop and come leading on the turn, and one can gaybet (the other open-raises and one comes leading on the flop) a lot on the flop (at nl too). And then I know that I can come out betting the turn (sometimes the river) when ever the other checks the flop (at limit holdem but maybe nl too) and that can be mixed with check-raises (at least at limit holdem).

I am also interested about the best strategy to play overaggressively vs. overaggressive players, beating them on their own game; the more aggressive player wins.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Need to find good hyperaggressive books (and online players)

You make a lot of assertions that I’m not sure are true. How do you know that mediocre agro plays beat good 2+2 players?

Why do you equate weak-tight with tight-aggressive when they are not the same thing, by definition?

I’m confused by the way you talk about limit and NL in the same breath and generally by what point you are actually making in that main paragraph. It all seems a bit confused.

Also you say you are interested in the best strategy to beat such players but assume that is to play overagressively when that might not be the best strategy at all.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You make a lot of assertions that I’m not sure are true. How do you know that mediocre agro plays beat good 2+2 players?

Why do you equate weak-tight with tight-aggressive when they are not the same thing, by definition?

I’m confused by the way you talk about limit and NL in the same breath and generally by what point you are actually making in that main paragraph. It all seems a bit confused.

Also you say you are interested in the best strategy to beat such players but assume that is to play overagressively when that might not be the best strategy at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shoudn't question him. Have a look at
this thread for proof of his expertise [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2007, 03:46 AM

lol
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-20-2007, 01:14 AM

o.k, i won't add to the LOL-padding...

might want to check out eric lindgren's book or even supersystem (either one, nolimit is the same).... lindgren's book is pretty sparse but just about the only book on small-ball.... lots of small ball stuff on internet though.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:46 AM

wow.

[ QUOTE ]

I have been around ever since 1999 when Internet money poker started and I know how cards run and players play at Paradise, UB, Party, Stars, Tilt, WPEX, True, new poker.com (the old had the Prima shuffle), Mansion, Pokerroom, Prima, Doyles, and some others

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been around since 1999. He knows how the cards run at all these different sites.
Awesome!!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:44 PM

What is this dude on?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But time after time I will have to see a different type of formula, a formula that I am very familiar with as it's around 80% of the time the same, going the same patterns as one period, from the beginning to the ends of any period. That's not science but magic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-21-2007, 01:54 AM

Try TJ Cloutier "Championship no-limit and pot-limit holdem".
He is advocating hyper-aggressive style which is probably a deacade ahead of players like Gus or Phil.