Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 AM

Default 1/2 PL Holdem

1/2 PL Holdem
PLO - the same as far as the betting structure goes vs. the number of hole cards.

NL holdem is an incorrect game; the betting structure for it is wrong. It needs PLO to play it as PL. Limit holdem has too small bets. 1/2 PL holdem is the correct betting structure, perfect, though there can be some details that improve it further.

Details: One thing is that at 1/2 PL holdem the open-raise is 2.5 times the big blind as 3 times lacks action and 2 times is too small. Another thing is that post-flop bets that are only 1 times the big blind are not allowed. Also what amount can be raised needs to be considered as if it's not e.g. only twice the half-a-pot bet (doubling that bet - or preflop a limp-reraise or a re-raise) it again may start to drop action and create an abnormal check-raise and position game.

When NL started online there was some short time at least play money games that I tested and felt good about that betting structure. As I now understand NL holdem, limit holdem and PLO, I know the reasons too, and that's why I am positive that this is how holdem will mostly be played in the future.

As far as now goes, the game is PLO. After a limp a raise can be called, and if one raises and gets reraised, the reraise can be called. Like in limit holdem. 6-handed figures to do the trick that puts it out from constant situations where the other has a made hand and the other has a big draw, and those full ring games are not gaming, and compared to eight handed there's more action and hands like KJT2 are good enough to play and (open-)raise with, where one aims to make a flop like at least Jxx (heads up, and one hits a top pair here more often than one would at holdem) where the top pair is nice (like at limit holdem though it's the nuts there while here it's just something one can often play - until it's a four way pot where it may lose its value - one is then aiming to make top two that's a strong favorite vs. someone's lesser two pair - like a top pair with a lesser kicker at holdem. Making bigger draws is though not that much one gets with e.g. QJT as one has usually just nine outs, but one has some better backdoor possibilities too adding that nine to 10 at least, that's already reasonable) and it has two supporting high cards to it (maybe both over the middle pair) and maybe a suit somewhere.

Limit holdem is the best as shorthanded, five handed to be exact - the six handed can still be too rocky and heads up as well as even three and four handed it has more or less the hyper bug where they do better than they should. Limit holdem's problem these days is usually the too high a rake as it's a percentage game played with small bets (PLO is not all that a percentage game to be exact but even if one thinks so, it's with bigger bets) where the same money moves through the rake something like twice as often than it does at big bet poker before it ends up to the better players as profits.

My story here is mainly about the best gaming structure, the other matters here being some additional supporting views.