Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

Someone else in this thread asked you about the recordings with Rudimentary Peni that took place in the late 1980's. I had interviewed Grant from Peni back in the mid-to-late 90's for good 'ol fLiPSiDE and he mentioned that he remembered recording those tracks and how amazing they sounded. I know that Nick Blinko didn't take part in the sessions, but Grant and Jon are such an amazing rhythm section that I'm sure it was a blast for you to play with them.

Also, good 'ol Manny from Distortion Felix always praised your recording of them. He's one of the coolest cats in Silverlake and as down to earth as my local mechanic. I love that guy!

I don't know if you've heard 400 Blows, but they are a pretty amazing live band. They are also pretty out there like if you took Jaz Coleman from Killing Joke and had him front an early Black Flag that was influenced by the Melvins. Yeah, I know..maybe they have a time machine?

Anyways, enough of my verbage...Keep doing what you love!

Peace,

Cake
Old 07-07-2007, 12:05 AM

How did you get hooked up with Hum from Champaign/Urbana? What was it like working with them? Really no anecdote is too small, so go into as much detail as you please.

Thanks.

-JAK
----
http://wsahara.net/
Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Any truth to the rumor that you are mixerman?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are some good swingo angle shoots?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't want to give the impression that I like angle shooting. Swingo is a ridiculous game, and in an attempt to incorporate elements of many other poker games, an element of angle-shooting was added for completeness.

A big part of the game is which cards you choose to expose when you separate your hole cards from your board cards. This was intended to mimic the angle-shoot of flashing a card to mislead a player. Mike Caro outlines one such play in his Book of Tells, and I recently had a French dude try something similar at the Aviation Club. French dude moved a big bet into the pot with the same hand that held his hole cards, intentionally flashing me a red Trey when the board had a four-flush in Clubs showing, trying to sell either a bluff or value bet of the bottom straight. I had to fold the top straight, because his other card was almost certainly the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

In Swingo, everyone's boards are also in play for everyone else's hand, so you can make a deceptive play that forces player A to fold the card that would allow player B to beat you. Here's an example:

On the deal, you have a set of eights, a great starting hand. Once the boards and river card are out, you have bricked your full house draw, and only have trips.

Player A (who has never played Swingo before) has a probable [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] four-flush in his hand, which he will complete with a spade from your board, and Player B is showing a pair of Deuces, which means a probable two-pair hand (knowing this takes some 'splaining, so just trust me), which he will fill with the 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from player A's board if A stays in the hand.

Player B wants to extract value from both you and player A, but he cannot beat you if player A folds. He bets, you say "We both filled! Let's dance!" and re-pot it. Player A folds his flush, and in so doing, folds player B's boat. Player B knows you are not full, since none of your cards are paired in sight (a necessity for a full house in Swingo), so he makes a crying call. The angle is that taking advantage of player A's inexperience lost the pot for player B.

More than any other game I can think of, Swingo requires players to manage the betting behavior of their opponents, keeping key players in a pot while eliminating others. This is an area of the game ripe for angle shooting.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any truth to the rumor that you are mixerman?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, he gets paid a lot more than me.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 AM

I think that the past 10 years give or take have seen really [censored] music. Mostly just brainwashed junk where nobody seems to stand out.

It seems like theres a couple leaders of each different sound of music, but EVERYBODY sounds the exact same. Such as, John Mayer, Creed, My Chemical Romance for a few, almost every band out there sounds like one of them or one of the other few bands today.

I haven't heard a band come out with any music that resembled any blues, jazz, folk, etc. But they're all genres that have come out recently such as Emo, Screamo, Protopunk/ Poppunk, Heavy Metal, rap, etc. Even country is now turnning into pop. The word music might as well be changed to Pop. So people can say, what pop genre do you like?

I know there are people that still make good music, but they're a dieing breed today.

Tell me what you think of this argument since you are one that has been in the buisiness for the past while.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:18 AM

Glen, here. Huge fan. Long-term record store employee. Old friend of Danielle who used to run Southern. "Racer-X" was one of the records that changed how I hear music. No, really.
Top Albini questions of the moment:
1) How old were you the first time you heard Kraftwerk?
2) Are you a fan of Gang of Four "Entertainment!"?
3) After recording "Light Sabre [censored]-Sucking Blues", what happened in the studio? (I worship that song)
4) When is "awesome" going to be over?
5) Could you tell, during the "Surfer Rosa" sessions that you were recording EXTREMELY influential music?
6) Can you hear me now?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 AM

OMG, if I see one more person who makes this their first (and probably last) post I'm going to shoot myself.

To make this thread more fun and less music nerdy:

1) Beatles or Stones?

2) Brian Townsend or Patrik Antonius?

3) What was the last show you saw at the Fireside?

4) Sklansky - genius or creep?

5) Do you have plans on wearing your LOL Donkaments shirt on stage during a show?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:13 AM

Dear Mikey Patriot,
I am truly shattered that I did not live up to your level of coolness. I probably won't sleep for a week (maybe a month).
Please answer the following questions...
1) How
2) How long
3) How long has
4) How long has it
5) How long has it been
6) How long has it been since
7) How long has it been since you've
8) How long has it been since you've gotten
9) How long has it been since you've gotten laid?
10) I'll totally blow you.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG, if I see one more person who makes this their first (and probably last) post I'm going to shoot myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, I didn't mean to drag all this crap in here. Sorry. I thought it was just us.

[ QUOTE ]
To make this thread more fun and less music nerdy:

1) Beatles or Stones?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stooges.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Brian Townsend or Patrik Antonius?

[/ QUOTE ]
Antonius attracts more poon, sbrugby gets to flip for half a million with an overlay... thinking... thinking... poon wins.

[ QUOTE ]
3) What was the last show you saw at the Fireside?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to say it was the Detholz! but it's been a couple of years.

[ QUOTE ]
4) Sklansky - genius or creep?

[/ QUOTE ]
Or? Or? Or? Where do you get this false dichotomy? He's a profoundly creepy genius. That seems plain-as-day obvious.

[ QUOTE ]
5) Do you have plans on wearing your LOL Donkaments shirt on stage during a show?

[/ QUOTE ]
What's it worth to you?