Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 04:44 AM

Default The Golden Rule

So, for me the religion is the Golden Rule.

"The Golden Rule" is a fundamental moral principle found in virtually all major religions and cultures, which simply means "treat others as you would like to be treated." It is arguably the most essential basis for the modern concept of human rights. Principal philosophers and religious figures have stated it in different ways. This is from Wikipedia.

There is nothing else for me in terms of religion and their rules. I think it is impossible to fully live by the Golden Rule, only Jesus lived by it and promoted it. But I think people should try.

Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc. are NOT religions, as I understand. They are just branches of theology, in other words study of religion. Guys (in Christianity), who happened to listen sometimes to Jesus, the messenger of God, are talking about their perceptions and opinions. These books (I know only about Christianity, but I suppose others are the same) are full of their influence, which is ridiculous.

I think no religion is right. All of them promote Golden Rule - that is the only right thing in all of them. Everything else is just not important, imho.

Yeah, it is very simple, but why should it be difficult? So why not forget all religions which are source of terorrism, wars, etc. together with their priests who [censored] children, who send people for death for their animalistic teritorriality and dominance agenda. Why not just leave only one rule. The Golden Rule.

Is it something wrong with my belief system? I am not that smart, I only play small stakes no limit poker.

Please explain to me if I am wrong and why I am wrong. Really.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:55 AM

Default Re: The Golden Rule

[ QUOTE ]
So, for me the religion is the Golden Rule.

"The Golden Rule" is a fundamental moral principle found in virtually all major religions and cultures, which simply means "treat others as you would like to be treated." It is arguably the most essential basis for the modern concept of human rights. Principal philosophers and religious figures have stated it in different ways. This is from Wikipedia.

There is nothing else for me in terms of religion and their rules. I think it is impossible to fully live by the Golden Rule, only Jesus lived by it and promoted it. But I think people should try.

Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc. are NOT religions, as I understand. They are just branches of theology, in other words study of religion. Guys (in Christianity), who happened to listen sometimes to Jesus, the messenger of God, are talking about their perceptions and opinions. These books (I know only about Christianity, but I suppose others are the same) are full of their influence, which is ridiculous.

I think no religion is right. All of them promote Golden Rule - that is the only right thing in all of them. Everything else is just not important, imho.

Yeah, it is very simple, but why should it be difficult? So why not forget all religions which are source of terorrism, wars, etc. together with their priests who [censored] children, who send people for death for their animalistic teritorriality and dominance agenda. Why not just leave only one rule. The Golden Rule.

Is it something wrong with my belief system? I am not that smart, I only play small stakes no limit poker.

Please explain to me if I am wrong and why I am wrong. Really.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not making any sense. The Golden rule is much much MUCH older than any religion. Religion has hijacked morality, but fortunately these days more and more people are recognizing morality's atheistic roots.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is impossible to fully live by the Golden Rule, only Jesus lived by it and promoted it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this completely, because:

1. it is pretty easy to live by the Golden Rule
2. lots of people other than Jesus have lived by it
3. lots of people other than Jesus have promoted it

HERE is a link to a quick history of the Golden Rule.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is impossible to fully live by the Golden Rule, only Jesus lived by it and promoted it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this completely, because:

1. it is pretty easy to live by the Golden Rule
2. lots of people other than Jesus have lived by it
3. lots of people other than Jesus have promoted it

HERE is a link to a quick history of the Golden Rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think human beings are not developed to the level to live by the Golden Rule. Isn't that obvious? Just take any situation where interaction of 2 people is involved and 1 of them is you and ask yourself if you apply that principle by 100%. Let me tell you this. If you are honest with yourself there will be NO way that you apply Golden Rule to your interactions with other people.

Simple. Just one example. If you apply that rule and put other person's interest in front, you would have no money for yourself except money for basic food and not even clothes. And not even the monitor which you look at right now. And money from that monitor can save somebody's life.

It is just completely different level which people cannot even imagine.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:54 PM

erm then i don't think jesus lived by the golden rule, by your reasoning. why wasn't jesus naked all the time, giving clothes to anyone he passed by? why didn't jesus shave his beard and give it to the bald? or the beardless?
Old 12-23-2006, 05:30 PM

I don't think the Golden Rule says that one has to do everything in one's power to help people. Just that the things that one does do should be as they would have others do to them.

One could argue that by not doing everything in one's power to help, then that person is actually hurting. But if one argued for that definition of the situation, then I don't think that Jesus (or God himself for that matter), would fit the definition.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:43 PM

Well... I don't know how exactly Jesus lived but let's say this. If there was somebody living by that rule it was him. Or, let's say he was the closest. That is exactly why he is Jesus.

I am not an expert. All I am saying that everything else is bull's increments invented by some azzholes who want to own you and dominate you. Let's say, if there were God and wanted to say one rule or guideline for humankind what would it be? The Golden Rule. And through Jesus the God conveyed exactly this principle.

And people just don't and cannot live by this rule because other things drive them. Some of which are greed, selfishness, dominance, teritorriality, sex, etc. Even in poker - it is all about dominance.

And by lighting up the candle or going on Sundays to some building and sitting there listening to songs or not eating some food in some period of time or whatever rules there are in your "religion" people think that they are religious and they are going to heaven. [censored] that!

Just one rule. That's it.

See, how unimaginable it is if you think about it. Everybody seems to agree to that because we are humans and there is part of the Creator (Father, Designer, God) in all of us, but NOBODY lives it. Because we are not developed yet. We are still very close to monkeys. Very close.

It is like you hold 4 of a kind on flop and the 5th comes on river:-). Just unimaginable. Remember the Lennon's song. He wanted people to imagine. But people can't.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the Golden Rule says that one has to do everything in one's power to help people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that's very difficult if you really think about it, but the problem is that very, very few even try to think and understand, let alone live by that rule.

Nietzche - everybody understands, because it is easy and it supports all animal instincts in us. That's why his philosophy rules the world. Nietzche was not dumb and wanted to be God and studied humans well enough.

But Golden Rule is difficult. Because it is beyond. That is UBER.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The Golden Rule" is a fundamental moral principle found in virtually all major religions and cultures

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Well, depending on what you mean by "virtually." The concept of reciprocity does exist in all cultures to some degree, but not the golden rule. In fact, a majority of cultures have believed that some caste of people deserved better or different treatment than another caste.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nietzsche- everybody understands

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of one person who doesn't understand Nietzsche.

Treating people the way you want to be treated is not the same as putting other people’s interest ahead of yours.

There is a HUGE difference between not giving, and not stealing.

I agree with you about the Golden Rule. I disagree that it’s difficult, and I disagree that Jesus was the perfect example.