Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Reward programs

Well, I'm getting older, and slowly getting more independent. This means I'm paying for just about everything now. So I've started signing up for a few different rewards programs. Not many, just Speedway, Borders and CVS.

CVS because I work there, so I automatically get an Extracare card, but it would be pretty good even if I didn't work there. 2% back on (almost) all purchases, $.50 back for each prescription. Not too bad.

Borders, because books are expensive, they add up quickly. For every $150 spent(which is only a few books) you get a $5 coupon, and weekly coupons.

Speedway, because I have to have gas. One of the rewards you can get here is a discount on gas(up to $.50 off per gallon) or a Speedway gift card. If I can get free or cheap gas from buying gas, why not?

What rewards programs do you use? Is there any drawback to signing up for a number of these? Or do a lot of these places sell your information, leading to endless spam and junk mail?
Old 06-03-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Reward programs

[ QUOTE ]
Borders, because books are expensive, they add up quickly. For every $150 spent(which is only a few books) you get a $5 coupon, and weekly coupons.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you purchase any significant volume of books, B&N is a much better deal. There's a small upfront fee, but all your friends and family can use your account (by giving your phone number), and you get 10% off everything.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you purchase any significant volume of books, B&N is a much better deal. There's a small upfront fee, but all your friends and family can use your account (by giving your phone number), and you get 10% off everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't really buy a lot of books. I wish I bought more but I don't have the time to read and the money to buy as many books as I want to. Any idea what the initial fee is for B&N?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A library card might be a good alternative, 100% off everything, if you bring it back after a few weeks.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM

I have a CVS card but only use it because you get instant discounts (like something is $1 with a card, $1.50 without).

How do you get 2% back on everything?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A library card might be a good alternative, 100% off everything, if you bring it back after a few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I adore libraries, but they're clearly not a good substitute for bookstores. Furthermore, I suspect the OP already knew about the powers of a library card.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a CVS card but only use it because you get instant discounts (like something is $1 with a card, $1.50 without).

How do you get 2% back on everything?

[/ QUOTE ]
A running total of your qualifying purchases(which is everything in the store except for prescriptions, alcohol, tobacco, lottery tickets, and probably prepaid cards, bot sure on that though) is kept, and it prints on the bottom of your receipt. 2% of this is what you will get back, plus any Extrabucks you get from prescriptions.

Every quarter, your Extrabucks print at the bottom of your receipt. It's basically just a coupon for X amount, good for anything in the store. There is a window of time in which they print though(I believe it's 2 weeks, but I'm not positive) so you have to make a purchase within these 2 weeks. Actually, they should be printing soon.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:06 PM

credit card rewards:
mtvu: 5% back on restaurants, bookstores (incl. amazon.com), 1% back on everything else
driver's edge: 3% back on groceries, gas, drug stores, 1% back on everything else.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM

Chase BP Card:

5% on BP purchases
2% on travel and dining
1% on everything else

I used this exclusively while traveling and was averaging 80 bucks a month in free gas.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 PM

Be careful with credit cards with rewards on them, usually they have a higher interest rate, which depending on your usage may negate any rewards you get. Other reward cards are basically to make it easier for the company to do market research on you, if you care about stores knowing what you buy and sending you crap about it don't get them.