Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Lest talk about a basic hand NLTU stakes whatever

Early in the tourney:

I have say Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Yes, there is some raising PF, and say the pot is 200 or so.

Flop comes out:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain pots:

I......

a) shove
b) raise
c) call
d) daveT is a stupid donkey.

Okay, now the pot is 120

I.....

a) shove
b) raise smallish
c) raise half my stack in
d) call
e) shut up, donkey!
Old 09-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Lest talk about a basic hand NLTU stakes whatever

I go Gavin Smith way and shove here on the flop. It is a significant overbet, but a great way so that villain can't play back at you. It seems idiotic, but I don't like raising less than all in here. Pushing is great, actually. Even if you get called which you don't want to, you are probably a favorite.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Early in a tourney I'd call this and try to keep the pot small to see if I hit. As the blinds (and pot size) increased I would be much more prone to shoving.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Early in a tourney I'd call this and try to keep the pot small to see if I hit. As the blinds (and pot size) increased I would be much more prone to shoving.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems bad to me.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:51 PM

In general , I like to re-raise here a good amount . In fact , I may re-raise even if I didn't have overcards and a flush draw . It would all depend on how I think my opponent will handle the situation .

Deception is everything in NL .
Old 09-16-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems bad to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think this line seems bad??/ If it's early on and you keep pot small on flop then hit your card on turn you can then try and build pot, but if the bb's are bigger and the pot is already decent a push seems better cause the pot is a decent size already to just take down
Old 09-17-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems bad to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think this line seems bad??/ If it's early on and you keep pot small on flop then hit your card on turn you can then try and build pot, but if the bb's are bigger and the pot is already decent a push seems better cause the pot is a decent size already to just take down

[/ QUOTE ]

It is bad because pot odds make it bad.

I do agree with you vinetou, but for very different reasons.

The reason is that vs one pair, you are about a 60% favorite over the next two cards. If your opponent is likely to make a "good" call, they are actually taking the worst of it.

I have tried several different lines with various amounts of success. I am still very confused about this. It is a great place to attempt a semi-bluff, if it can really be called such.

Is it better to attempt to be called, or to simply take down the pot right away? Quantity- wise, it appears to be better to just keep taking the pot, but when weighed against taking your opponent's stack and getting on to the next game, I guess that it is better to be called. This is something I assume is different between cash and tourneys. Striking the balance between both extremes appears, to me, a priority.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM

You're not going to get a ton of action from many players if you call and hit your flush. And if the turn is like Ac, you're just folding anyways.

I shove flop here because there is fold equity against most players who hold naked overcards, 2nd pairs, etc. and I should be ahead of their calling range as well. You can't beat those two things with a flush draw in a big pot by calling, maybe if you know villain like the back of your hand.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:27 PM

Thanks all, just examining the foundations of my game.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:33 PM

you have an equity advantage agaisnt his range. So get more chips in, preferably all of them. But since your equity is in the form of a combo draw you really are better off getting most of the chips in on the flop.