Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You will dispose the stocks immediately
Yes 5 35.71%
No 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Is it bigoted to denounce Islam as immoral and even \'disgusting\'?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I'm pretty shook up right now. Earlier, in a heated debate I caused a woman to run out the room screaming I was a 'bigot' for saying Islam (I also mentioned Catholicism) is inately evil and its preachings disgusting and immoral- and before her going crazy saying I 'hate' Islam (not Muslims).

I am willing to reconsider my stance or atleast reconsider if I should use my freedom of speech [very limited in UK concerning religion] openly if the general consensus is I am a bigot- based on my extensive research on Islam I have a moral obligation to oppose Islam as I do any religion. If she'd called me Satan atleast I wouldnot have been so tongue-tied:

"But here steps in Satan, the eternal rebel, the first free-thinker and emancipator of worlds. He makes man ashamed of his bestial ignorance and obedience; he emancipates him, stamps upon his brow the seal of liberty and humanity, in urging him to disobey and eat of the fruit of knowledge."
Bakunin
Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Is it bigoted to denounce Islam as immoral and even \'disgusting\'?

Don't worry about it.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Yes, it is bigoted. There is a difference between opposing Islam and saying it is evil. If your rant had happened here instead of IRL, I would ban you.

Also, you forgot something:
Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 PM

Not only is it bigoted, it's ignorant too.

All the major religions of the world are surprisingly similar and teach the same prinicples of love and what's not cool (thou shalt not steal, etc.)
Old 07-05-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is bigoted. There is a difference between opposing Islam and saying it is evil. If your rant had happened here instead of IRL, I would ban you.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, that's awful. Is saying that communism is evil bigoted and banworthy? Are they not both systems of belief? Why the silly solicitude for religions?

EDIT: I personally don't believe that Islam is evil. But it sounds like OP is familiar with the religion and bases his hatred of it on general anti-religious principles. I don't necessarily agree with him, and I think he may be misinterpreting a very important strand of world culture, but so what?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I'm pretty shook up right now. Earlier, in a heated debate I caused a woman to run out the room screaming I was a 'bigot' for saying Islam (I also mentioned Catholicism) is inately evil and its preachings disgusting and immoral- and before her going crazy saying I 'hate' Islam (not Muslims).

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think that it's not bigoted--I don't know much about Islam, but it is a religion that is built upon a set of principles/beliefs of some sort, no? If this is the case, and the fundamental principles of Islam had evil content (or called for evil actions, etc.), then why wouldn't one call it evil? (not saying that Islam does have evil content, I wouldn't know one way or the other)

Do you think it would be bigoted to call Marxism evil? Or ACism? Or utilitarianism?

I don't know, maybe there's a difference here that I'm missing (e.g., what makes religions exempt from the criticism we can foist on other philosophical 'isms'), but I think we can judge religions on the degree to which they match what is objectively good and evil.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't ban me, im not attacking anyone. Not that it gives me any more right to attack Islam but I have close relatives who have Islamic bacgrounds whom i hope would respect my right to criticize their theology.

Whhy is it bigoted, though? I may be told that I am wrong in my assertion that Islam is evil based on my principles thatit conflicts with the rights of man; equality and freedom[1]- but thats not bigotry its ignorance. So I may be accused of being wrong; but surely not a bigot?
[1]
“He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity”
Old 07-05-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say someone's belief that a specific religion is evil is bigoted? He is perfectly entitled to this belief, and has every right to express it.

How about this statement: "I feel that any religion that believes people will be tortured for eternity is inherently immoral and evil." Or: "Any religion that worships a god who slaughtered innocent children in their beds is evil." Are these bannable also?

OP, there's nothing bigoted about what you said. But people get extra touchy about religion so you should probably expect the reaction you got.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

All the major religions of the world are surprisingly similar and teach the same prinicples of love and what's not cool (thou shalt not steal, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to agree but after very limited unbias research and study of religion it quickly becomes evident that inately religion does not "teach the same prinicples of love and what's not cool"-luckily many of its followers interpret it this way inline with rational thought and humane morals but not everyone. Is pork, music, dancing, alcohol, womens genetalia 'not cool' and murder, sexism, homophobia, anti-semetism "prinicples of love "?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say someone's belief that a specific religion is evil is bigoted? He is perfectly entitled to this belief, and has every right to express it. Ah yes as the followers of Radical Islam have every right to strap a bomb to their chest and go kill a bunch of school childeren. But I don't have the right to pre emptivly stop them.

Notice I say RADICAL Islam because I differentiane Muslim= okay Radical Muslim = I'll kill you if I can before you kill me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How about this statement: "I feel that any religion that believes people will be tortured for eternity is inherently immoral and evil." Or: "Any religion that worships a god who slaughtered innocent children in their beds is evil." Are these bannable also?

OP, there's nothing bigoted about what you said. But people get extra touchy about religion so you should probably expect the reaction you got.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is okay for their "Radical Sect" to kill people because they believe it is for good. But it's not ok to be in Iraq to try to stop them.
Closed Thread