Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 AM

Default some hands from the 109 20k gurantee on stars

hand 1 - no specific reads other than he's not a nit. i am thinking this play would work better if i was shorter and just shoved over his raise but with my stack i should just fold when he opens(?).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t2055)
UTG+1 (t11340)
MP1 (t10830)
MP2 (t3607)
MP3 (t6063)
Hero (t5525)
Button (t6147)
SB (t4022)
BB (t2928)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1850</font>

hand 2 - i think we're near the final table bubble. no other reads. better to flat call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t13855)
MP2 (t50047)
CO (t45904)
Button (t25657)
SB (t8505)
BB (t43028)
UTG (t29635)
Hero (t41050)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t4800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t12225</font>

hand 3 - at the final table, no specific read on villain but he seems to be opening his fair share of pots.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP (t109534)
Button (t195573)
SB (t76180)
Hero (t60990)
UTG (t55723)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t12200</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60990</font>

hand 4 - i felt like with ~10bb's i needed to shove here with my bb coming i didn't want to fall below 10bb's. is this flawed thinking? maybe this would be a valid reason with only like 6bb's where i would need to shove now before the bb/sb take so many chips from my stack i would have no fe with an open push. not sure, anyway here it is. i also think it helps that my cards will usually be live if called.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t6000 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t158293)
BB (t126360)
Hero (t62790)
Button (t150557)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t62490</font>
Old 02-22-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: some hands from the 109 20k gurantee on stars

oh sorry 1 more hand from this tourny. hijack who seems competent and has like 44k opens to 4k at 800/1600 level, he opened last hand and everyone folded. VERY BAD co cold-calls with 13k left, i shove for ~18.7k on the button with KQo, yes?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:24 AM

shameless bump, no one has any thoughts on any of these?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:09 PM

Hand 1: I'd fold the KJ hand. But I don't play 109s.

Hand 2: I think the raise is fine w/JJ. Although, I think we have to call if villain re-pushes. My resolution is don't 1) call at all here. 2) Decide if you are a favorite against his range (I think you are). If yes - raise about the amount you did and obviously call if he re-pushes. If no - you might have to fold. But I think you are good the way you played it.

Hand 3: Meh. Read dependent. How do you think he reads you may be more important than how you read him.

Hand 4: Okay I suppose. I would be more interested in knowing what happened before this (i.e. why are you the short stack?). Have you passed on other opportunities to open-steal? Did you dwindle down? Or did you lose a big pot? The answer to those questions will better identify any leak than whether or not you should push this hand. But, I don't play 109s.

R. Sherman
Old 02-22-2007, 12:21 PM

Hand 1 - not a big fan of the raise here, would prefer cold calling and taking it away on the pot.

Hand 2 - would prefer a flat call, the only hand you're likely called with are better hands (and AK, which likely pushes). Flat calling means hands TT+, AJ and AQ stay around. Evaluate on flop, but will generally be willing to get it in on ragged flop, overcards means it gets more complicated but them's the breaks.

Hand 3 - resteals are hard to comment on, but would prefer a good read and better restealing cards (like a Q-A high hand or high scs etc). Stack sizes are pretty nice for a resteal. You need to pay more attention if you don't have a read on villain at the FT though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hand 4 - read-dependent, but I wouldn't fear falling below 10 BBs that much. You won't have much resteal FE anyway. If you were at 8 BBs or so I'd probably ship it in there.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM

thx for responses. in hand 2 i of course was calling a push and he did infact push and i beat his ak, but i wasn't sure if we were deep enough where i should just be calling his initial raise.

r sherman, i didn't really dwindle down too much. i came to the final table with ~90k and nothing much happened, i was up to 100k at one point but i was pretty card dead and kept getting blinded down(esp as ppl were getting eliminated and it went from 9 to eventually 4 handed with the blinds coming around so often and me not picking up any good re-stealing hands or even hands to defend my blinds with). when we began 4 handed play i think i had like ~70k or so, and with 3k/6k blinds u can see how it's easy to lose chips quickly.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Hand 1. This is bad. You are essentially committing your whole stack. You have too many players to act to resteal with this kind of hand. I would fold, but calling may be OK, even with the "trouble hand".

Hand 2. Small reraise represents a bigger pair, but I would reraise more or push. You could also flat call.

Hand 3. I wouldn't resteal with this weak a hand without a read. The play is not terrible though.

Hand 4. In general, I wouldn't push from CO with 97o. You should have better opportunities 4-handed to make loose raises. Don't worry about your stack going below 10xBB. You obviously haven't read my infamous red zone post.

Hand 5. Squeeze play with KQo is probably marginally cEV+.

In general, these plays are too loose.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:37 PM

'You obviously haven't read my infamous red zone post.'

this is correct, where can i find this? and when you call it 'infamous' is this sarcasm?

EDIT: also, what exactly does +cEV mean? i keep seeing it used around here and i think i have an idea of what it means...something might be -ev in theory but the risk and reward behind it are +cEV because it's worth getting those extra chips so you can more easily build your stack(or of course bust) where as if you keep waiting and not taking the +cEV spots you might dwindle down too low where your stack is not big enough to make any moves. am i on track here?
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'You obviously haven't read my infamous red zone post.'

this is correct, where can i find this? and when you call it 'infamous' is this sarcasm?

EDIT: also, what exactly does +cEV mean? i keep seeing it used around here and i think i have an idea of what it means...something might be -ev in theory but the risk and reward behind it are +cEV because it's worth getting those extra chips so you can more easily build your stack(or of course bust) where as if you keep waiting and not taking the +cEV spots you might dwindle down too low where your stack is not big enough to make any moves. am i on track here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I made a post saying there are advantages to being in the red zone, as there are lots of cEV+ pushbotting opportunities, so you shouldn't make a big effort to stay out of the red zone. I was thouroughly flamed for it.

cEV+ means you expect to pick up chips. Say I am on the button with 8xBB, then pushing any pp, ace, or broadway cards in cEV+. If I am UTG 10-handed with 12xBB and a small ante, then puishing anything less AQ or 99 is cEV-.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: also, what exactly does +cEV mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

In MTTs there are two kinds of EV. $EV and cEV. They two are probably highly correlated, but can diverge quickly at the end of tournaments (in the money/final tables).

+cEV means positive chip expected value. Meaning, you expect to gain chips if you made the play everytime.

+$EV means positive expected money value. Meaning, you expect to gain money if you made the play everytime.