Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Friday Night Lights Season 2

I imagine however, that Homicide was A LOT cheaper to make than FNL, which has gotta be pricey.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Pudge-

[ QUOTE ]
I really liked it although not as much as people in this thread. I disliked the football scenes, the over dramatization, the fact every pass went to Smash or Riggins, etc. I'm very intrigued where they will go with season 2 since season 1 seemed like a fairly closed arc. That being said I thought the same for Dexter and the first two episodes of Dexter were incredible. BTW don't post the spoilers in response to that last bit even if I'm completely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was interesting that Simmons actually mentions Sopranos and The Wire in his article, though I am not saying FNL is on the same level as Sopranos, what I do like the most about the show is what I liked the most about Sopranos. FNL isn't a football show, football is the setting and the backdrop and a big part of it but it is just the vehicle that leads us to the bigger picture, such as dealing w/ our insecurities our hate and our confusion (racism, alcoholism, parent issues, adultery, mental problems, sex, drugs, injury/handicap). Sopranos was a lot like this, it was a mob show but the mob was just used to show us much more.

I agree w/ Dids, the football scenes are mostly just necessary and he put it well--when they get to be too much it is easy to just mentally fast forward that stuff.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or pretend they won the game in a less stupid way and focus on everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really hard when the last play of the game is a fullback reverse that goes for 40 or so yards.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 PM

Tdarko and Dids,
I agree with you, however I still like good football scenes and as a general complaint it really bothers me that very few sports movies can have good in game scenes.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 PM

my girlfriend went to school with the running back guy so she watches it

i can't get into it, just seems like a huge stretch
Old 09-20-2007, 01:13 AM

I loved the Simmons article too except for the whole not even saying what time the show is on. If he did, I didn't see it.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or pretend they won the game in a less stupid way and focus on everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really hard when the last play of the game is a fullback reverse that goes for 40 or so yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never watched the show, but that just sounds hilarious. If you're going to base a show around a football team, have someone who knows something about football tell you when a scene is terrible. That's always bothered me about sports movies, especially serious ones that purport to be something more. I can handle a cartoonish game in Slap Shot because nothing about that movie is supposed be serious, but I really disliked the movie version FNL because I couldn't believe that there was an actual real football team at the center of the action.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:29 AM

All i have to say is

" To Texas, Texas forever!"
Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 AM

I really liked season one. For network drama, this show is excellent. Some of the storylines are terrible but most of them actually come off genuine. Writers have a good feel for small town life IMO. The faux documentary look is something I could go either way on, at times it's effective but every now and then a more standard shooting method would work better. The football scenes are TERRRIBLE but very far and few between. I'm glad it's not really about football. Oh, and the show blows the movie out of the water. No contest.

When does season two start? Isn't everyone in the show going to graduate? Heh.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 AM

I absolutely love this show but I wasn't convinced that it should come back for a season 2. I guess I am just worried about how authentic it is going to become when some of the cast graduates and people move and so on.

Im worried it wont work or it will become fake (too many "random occurances or people being around when they wouldn't IRL).

I hope they pull it off well, and Ill watch either way.