Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 AM

Default bowling fanatics

i bowl like once a year. i took my kids bumper bowling. the guy next to us was mr uber bowler. had 9 of his own bowling balls. threw it like a pro with a curve and usually made a strike &/or picked up his spare. after about every ball, he'd take out some kind of piece of tape from inside one of the finger holes and move it.

anyone know what he was doing with that tape? why would a guy have 9 balls? was he likely a pro?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: bowling fanatics

No clue about the tape. He may have been demoing balls. Using nine balls is super strange. The hardcore bowlers I know use two balls - one for the first and second shots. The first shot is always the same and needs to be consistent, whereas obv the second shot will vary a lot and they need more control/finesse/whatever.

disclaimer: I know nothing about bowling, only tidbits picked up from friends, and I fully anticipate a total smackdown from the bowling experts shortly
Old 07-18-2007, 06:02 AM

tape is usually used solely for grip or if you think the hole is a little too big for your fingers, to cause a better fit. Obviously if the hole is too big, you can fix it with tape, but if it's a little too small there's nothing you can do.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whereas obv the second shot will vary a lot and they need more control/finesse/whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obvious? In what way?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whereas obv the second shot will vary a lot and they need more control/finesse/whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obvious? In what way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first ball is usually a ball that hooks a lot more than your second ball, so that you can hit the pocket at the optimum angle.

The second ball is a "straighter" ball, which makes picking up 1 and 2 pin corner spares alot easier.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obvious? In what way?

[/ QUOTE ]
In the first shot there are 10 pins in a triangle. In the second shot there are an unknown number of pins in an unknown configuration. Meaning unknown before the frame begins. i.e. after the first roll you could be left with one pin standing or a 7-10 split.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:19 AM

Wow, I need to go to sleep. I totally misinterpreted your comment. Nevermind.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 AM

if he's taking out tape after every ball it means he can't get his grip right for some reason, you shouldn't have to fiddle with your tape like that. good sign that the ball's not drilled right or that he's too dumb to put tape in the hole correctly.

the only reason to have 9 balls is if you are doing a demo, testing how they react, or are just a huge douchebag trying to look like a pro. most people don't test 9 balls at once, that's kinda silly... so it was most likely either a sales rep or some huge douche. judging by the thumb tape i'll go with douche.

and no, he's probably not a pro. there are lots of people who can shoot 220+ on normal conditions all the time and aren't close to being good enough to go pro.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM

" there are lots of people who can shoot 220+ on normal conditions all the time and aren't close to being good enough to go pro."

co-sign.

Normally you should ignore NT since he bowls like a crazy chinaperson (kinda), but he's right here.

The guys with 30000 balls have them in part because the lane conditions on which pros bowl are siiiiiiiiiiick. When I was in league, it was so hard to get anything decent if the lanes were oil for some stupid tournament.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 AM

Bringing more than three balls to an open bowling session does not really make any sense UNLESS you are demoing as someone else mentioned.

Tape is used for several things, depending on the person. It can be to adjust the fit which impacts your release but can also help to prevent blisters if you are throwing a ton of games in a short period of time.

Dids is correct. Bowling in an open bowling session vs. a semi serious men's league vs. what the pros face are not even the same sport. The lane conditions are so dramatically different that a person who maintains a 200 average (which is totally useless as a pro nowadays anyway) would have a tough time even maintaining a 175 under pro lane conditions. It's sort of like golf in the respect that they are forced to play under conditions much more difficult than you.