Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: College Football Schedules 2008

Florida could have made the Hawaii contract home/home and not lost a precious home game, since the game in Hawaii would not count against the 12 game limit.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Who can tell what team will be good or bad within several years? OOC schedules are typically written and contracted several years beforehand. Who would have known that UM and FSU would have been horrible at this point 5 years ago? Had we had this discussion 5-6 years ago UF would have a tremendously difficult schedule.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-UF opens with Hawaii

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish they did a neutral field thing in LA or something. Not going to happen obviously, but it would make it a lot more interesting. UF is obviously the better team but traveling 5000 miles to play in the Swamp has to move the line a lot of points. We're talking about 6 hours of time difference as well so if the game is at 4 in Florida that'll feel like 10 in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]
I somewhat agree here. I'm not sure that it'll be close anyhow as Brennan is gone next year. But yeah, the hour difference would level the playing field a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'd be impressive if Florida travelled west at all.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been discussed previously (I belive?).

Its difficult for UF to play many OOC games. A few reasons-

-UF typically has 7 games a year at home. In order to fulfill those, it makes it difficult to do home/home with other teams when you have...

-FSU every year. Yes, FSU is not what they once were but they are still a competitive program. The home/home that we have with them every year takes out a potential away game we could have with another team.

-UGA at a neutral site (in jacksonville). Again, we cannot have another home game due to this annual game every year.

Now, thats not to say we can't play other teams, its just that we typically need to fulfill those homegames and not many teams are willing just to come to the swamp for one year (there are of course exceptions).

[/ QUOTE ]

So your excuse for Florida not scheduling tough OOC, especially away is that they don't schedule tough OOC games, especially away.

It's not like the NCAA is mandating that they play 7 games at home.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 PM

I won't disagree that UF's OOC schedule has been fairly easy the past few years. I won't disagree that USC has a difficult OOC (and for that I respect them). I don't think that those who implement scheduling for UF will want to add more difficult games than already present (insert SEC fanboy comment here)- but UF has played competitve schedules as well, no matter how weak their OOC schedule is (if you recall last year UF's schedule was among the most difficult in the nation).
Old 11-28-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who can tell what team will be good or bad within several years? OOC schedules are typically written and contracted several years beforehand. Who would have known that UM and FSU would have been horrible at this point 5 years ago? Had we had this discussion 5-6 years ago UF would have a tremendously difficult schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that FSU/UM is a bad out of conference schedule, that's actually pretty good compared to almost everyone, it's that your reasoning for why you can't play a Pac-10 team is nonsensical. If you said that you already play two OOC rivalry games and along with the SEC schedule, you think that two OOC patsies that will travel to the swamp are in Florida's best interests, fine. But, to try and hide behind some sort of excuse that other good teams won't play a 1 off at Florida and you just have to only play 4 road games a year is pretty lame.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:32 PM

This year they played WKU, Troy and Fla-ATL.
FLA knew damn well what types of teams they were scheduling when they signed up those programs.

Yeah, Troy can actually give big teams a tough battle. But the fact that FLA is playing OOC games vs. the Sun Belt pretty much tells you what you need to know.

In other news, anyone have any links that have a lot or all of the 2008 schedules?
I've been searching around on google and can't really find much.
When I try to find Miami OH's 2008 schedule I mostly am getting their 2007-2008 schedule.
WTF? Ummm, the football season is just 2007. The next one is 2008. No need to hyphenate it and include the following year just on the off-chance that they play in the GMAC Bowl on Jan 6 or something.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they really caught a tough break with Citadel's fall from national prominence.

If this was 1999 FSU and UM would be very hard games, but they don't even need to leave the state to play those. It's more than simply team quality, it's also distance. UF will always have a healthy amount of supporters in their away halves of those games, how many USC graduates do you think live in Charlottesville or Columbus?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Not sure about FSU, but Miami should be on the up and up with the leaving of Coker. Next 2 years might be a little soft but they recruited almost every prospect from the #1 team in HS football atleast the last time I checked.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, 5 conference games IN A ROW. Well, with a bye. But FIVE CONFERENCE GAMES!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And the hate continues. Do I hate on your school's schedule? Or record?

Look at the teams. I would venture to guess that three of those teams finish in the top 10 with two legit NC contenders.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you said that you already play two OOC rivalry games

[/ QUOTE ]

Florida dropped the Miami home/home around '87 when the SEC added a conference game. I think they only have played four or so scheduled games (twice more in bowls) since. Hardly a 'rivalry' any more.